Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What is my problem?

I've been in Forks, Washington.

I've been in the Arizona Territories.

I've been anywhere but here.

But I am here. And I have TONS to do. But I keep getting sucked in. The library is off limits for me. The problem is I have three books left to read from my last trip there (yesterday, I was there yesterday.... someone help me please!) and one of the books happens to be New Moon so we know I'll be making a return trip to Forks.

But that's not what this post is about. Its about These is My Words by Nancy Turner recommended by this girl. Shan, LOooVVveeEEdDdd it! I was so skeptical because I really don't do sad-never-a-happy-moment books, and that's totally what this looked like. And it is sad. But its also so happy at times. In fact, do you ever come across a book and wish that your husband would read it to get some romance ideas? (Nicholas Sparks, anyone?) I'm not saying my hubby isn't romantic. He is romantic for a married-for-six-years-with-two-young-children-and-working-long-hours-to-provide-for-us kind of husband. But the guy is this book is so sweet. It almost seemed worth living in the Arizona Territory from 1881-1901 to have that dude for a husband.

And beyond just the relationship, there was so much I connected with in the main character. Namely her feelings of never being as good as her dear sis-in-law, or never being smart enough. And then there is lots of gripping, nail biting (no, I didn't actually bite my freshly grown out nails) drama that inherently comes with pioneer life that makes this a page turner! Check it out!

PS Shan, what else have you been reading? How was A Walk in the Woods?

5 comments:

shannon j said...

Believe me, you don't want to go back to Forks, WA....it rains a lot! Is that in the book?

jeanine said...

I'll have to check it out! And have fun with New Moon... it was my least favorite of that series but you have to get through it because Eclipse is totally worth it!

lori said...

thanks for the recomendation!
And yes, have fun with New Moon!

Jeanine - I've still got to write to you about Eclipse!! I haven't forgotten... :)

Shannon B said...

Shan J, you have to read Twilight...it takes place in Forks WA (it talks about raining a lot) and it is AWESOME.

Carrie, A Walk in the Woods was actually pretty boring. We read it for book club and it was recommend by by this girl because it was really funny. Some parts were funny and a little entertaining but over all NOT that good. There was also a lot of swearing (like the F-bomb). Not just a few times but A LOT! Anyhoo, I am so glad you liked These is my Words. We read that for book club too. I liked it too! Doesn't it make you want to be strong and LOVE your family more etc??

Steven said...

Carrie you have got to slow down your reading of good books. I don't read as fast as you and I am getting really behind with all your recommendations. Since I talked so highly of The hiding place I have to tell you about one I just finished similar to it. Night by Elie Weisel. Horrifying but really made me think about death and the extent I would go to keep my own father from dying. Anyhow it is super small so tell me what you think.