Friday, October 19, 2007

The puffy blue coat

Just bought this coat


For this boy




And it reminded me of a similar bomber jacket style coat bought nearly ten years ago. This is actually one of my favorite stories from my youth. When I was a junior in high school my fam moved and to say that I was upset is putting it mildly. I did not want to move. Needless to say, you can guess where my finger pointed the blame... the 'rents. I was probably not the best live-in daughter at the time.

We moved at the onset of winter and I needed a new coat, as did my other two live-in sibs (I think). So on one of the first nights in our new place, the fam took a trip to the local mall in search of winter coats. We decided to divide and conquer, Dad and Danner going off together and me and the girls heading our own direction. After meandering through department stores, I stopped at the Gap. Now, we're not talking the Gap of today, we're talking about the Gap in its prime, its glory days, when it was the hottest ticket to fashion success in young America. I was just window shopping, knowing that even if they had a coat there is no way my parents would buy it for me. (I had actually been exclusively buying my own clothes since I started babysitting, so the fact that they offered to buy me a coat was celebratory in and of itself) And there it was...

powder blue

puffy

fleece lined

and adorable.

Mom let me try it on. I looked at the tag. If memory serves it was just over a hundred big ones. Way too much. Especially with two other coats to buy. Ah, well. It was fun to try it on. Then Dad and Danner mosey our way. The conversation went something like this:

Dad: Carrie, thats a nice lookin' coat.

Me: Yep. It's too much.

Dad: Let's see. (Dad glances at the tag) Do you want it?

Me: Nah, there was one at Penney's that was nice.

Dad: (knowing my 17 year old heart well enough) Let's get this one.

Me: It's okay, Dad. It's too much.

Dad: No, lets get this one.

And he did. And my transition to the new high school was smooth because everyone thought I was SsSSooOoOOo cool. And I was. Thanks to my dad.

And before you think me the worldliest girl in America, you gotta know that I wasn't lobbying for a coat we couldn't afford (at least I hope not), and Dad wan't trying to buy back my affection that was left behind at my old school with my old life. He was givin me some lovin in good old Daddy B style. And I'll never forget it. Ever.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Ahhhh...cute story Carrie. And for what it's worth, I still love the Gap. :) That sounds like your dad too. Good ol' Uncle Greg.

ang :o) said...

Ah that is so sweet! Hey tell Tyler hello from angee madison! :)i love reading all about your cute family!

jeanine said...

That is such a sweet story! Is that puffy blue coat the same one that you had at BYU? I can just see you wearing it!

shannon j said...

That is such a sweet story! What a sweet daddy!

lori said...

OK. This just about makes me cry :)

Nothin' SoOOOOoooOOO SwwweEEEET as daddies who love their daughters and visa versa.

Carrie said...

Ang, Tyler says hello. Come back and read about us anytime!

Jeanine, yes same coat. I love that you remember it. What a good roomate!