I've been getting geared up for the holidays. I love the holidays. Thanksgiving is just around the corner but this year its got me depressed. Since half the readers of this here blog are family, you know what I mean when I say holidays are family affairs. And to be so far from family has got me sadder than sad. Last year, Danner came over and I made the whole stinkin meal for the 5 of us, one of which was not on solid food yet. Although Danner was great company, it was depressing to the nth degree to sit in such quiet and eat a teeny tiny portion of what I cooked. No loud screaming, no crying, no games, no raucous laughter...
So this post is a plea. I wanna hijack someone elses Thanksgiving guests and convince them to come to Denver instead. And since we in the Miller family are good at Sales (with a capital S) here is my pitch on why you should come to Denver for Thanksgiving.
- I promise to make a turkey that looks like this or at least die trying.

- We can have whatever dessert is your fav. even if I hate it.
- Tyler can do day-after-Thanksgiving shopping for you. He'll be out there anyway, so he might as well pick some stuff up for you.
- We won't make you do any work unless you want to.
- We won't get on anyone's case about school, work, or when they're going to have another baby or get married.
- We won't care if you unsnap your pants if and when you eat too much.
- I think I'm a good cook, ask Danner. He thought so this summer.
- Martha's got nothing on me. Not only do I have the cooking skills, but my house will be decorated perfectly without any stuffiness ensuring the most comfy cozy holiday atmosphere.
- We'll reinact the first Thanksgiving dinner for dramatic effect. Don't worry, guests do not have to participate.
- And finally, the guilt tactic. If you and lots of other families are getting together, couldn't one make the lonely drive to visit the lonely Millers so that we aren't all alone?
Now I know you're all dying to come. And I promise, we'll make room for you all. It's gonna be a great Thanksgiving, isn't it?
(Seriously, anyone wanna come over?)




9 comments:
You sold me! I wish I could come and spend thanksgiving with the Millers! :(
Carrie - I know how you feel, even though we are close to family here. It's been since March that I've seen my parents and longer for Tyler and Shannon. I didn't think we'd go so long when we moved here. It makes me sad too. And I'd love a nice cold (weather) Thanksgiving!
We are going to California this year. For the last 2 years, we've been at Disneyland the day before Thanskgiving (last year was longer), and we are doing that again this year, while Katie is free! We'll stop off and visit Ian and Megan on the way out and then eat turkey with James' family.
Do you have other friends w/out family? We've done that before for our Thanksgiving dinners, and while it's not the same, it does help! Or the missionaries??
Good luck getting tickets! That would be so much fun!!
Oh, Carrie, If only I could come and let you do all that for me! And athen the pleasure of your company, who could ask for more. I wish....
Hey girl! It's Laura Moore...now Laura Judd. I saw your link on Michal's blog and nearly died. Shoot, if I could make the drive to Colorado I would since my husband's in Iraq, but seeing as I'll be about 30 weeks along I don't know if my doc would like that too much, or my aching back. Our Little girl has taken to tickling me under the rib cage if I sit for too long which results in my cleaning teeth for half the day standing up. But man, that turkey you're going to make looks REAL good. jasonandlaurajudd@gmail.com, I couldn't find your email on the blog
Carrie
That's one great sales pitch! It sooo makes me want to come to Denver for Thanksgiving. I don't even care if you cook better then Martha --- I'd be willing to come for burnt turkey! HA! HA!
I especially like the part about Tyler tackling the crowds the day after Thanksgiving for us!
If we weren't leaving for our Anniversary trip the day after Thanksgiving I'd soooo be there!
Seriously...let's talk about this for next year cause I'd so be willing make the drive out there. Unless, family takes the front seat for YOU next year!
Gabrielle
Thanks for your sympathies everyone! I thought about inviting friends that are also w/out family, but it wouldn't be the same... sittin around all day shootin the breeze, they'd come for dinner and leave. It would just depress me more I think.
No, in case you're wondering. We didn't get World Series tickets.
Laura Moore- I mean Judd. So glad you found me. I can't believe it! While I was reading your comment I totally heard your voice in my head. I'm gonna email you later.
Mom, I know you'd come if you could. Thanks.
Gabrielle... yes lets plan something for next year. I know you'd come too if you could! Thank you!
oh, wish we could come too! And Laura! Small world! I love blogging!
Carrie - you are a wonderful cook. I think if I weren't going to Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving, it would definitely be either you or Betsy . . . (lol, as if I had any other options). Nah, I'll definitely miss you this Thanksgiving. I hope you get some more company. Invite some friends over???
Oh Carrie!! This post was great. I'm drooling. :) I love big family holidays. They just aren't the same with just a handful of people. My sister is having us this year, but Colorado sure would be fun for next year...we should talk! We've intruded on some friends' holiday gatherings before and it's not nearly as fun as your own family. But if all else fails, lots of friends is better than nobody!
Post a Comment