Friday, February 29, 2008

Always look on the bright side of life...

Did you see the fab little insert on President Hinckley with your March Ensign? Found this little nugget of council that hit home with me at the moment:

"I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we 'accentuate the positive.' I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good. . . . Look for the sunlight through the clouds." President Gordon B Hinckley.

So, here's my sunlight:

  • I get to have the whole bed to myself. And no one steals my sheets. (Although, after about day 2 of that, I was ready for the sheet stealer to come back...)
  • I keep forgetting to feed myself after getting meals ready for three other people. Great diet! Plus there's the exercise- pushing the chair, loading the chair, etc. Maybe I'll lose a few pounds!
  • Did I mention we get to park in handicap parking?? Serious sunlight there.
  • Tyler can carry the kids in his lap while I push his chair. We certainly move a lot faster than our usual 4 year old speed (as long as we don't go up or down a hill).
  • We've increased the value of our house. The ramp in the garage is sure to be a major selling point for someone someday, right?
  • Tyler will have a rockin upper body by the end of his six weeks, since that's the only way he gets from chair to couch or car.
  • Everything is done right because I have to do it myself.
  • We've convinced Papa to come visit (to help). Tyler only had to break 2 feet to get him here. The kids are excited!
  • For the next 6 weeks Tyler will be dressed to kill, since I have to get his clothes for him everyday!
  • We now have a legitimate reason to miss (notice I didn't say skip) stake conference on Sunday. We've never just not gone, it'll be a first.
  • I've discovered how loved our family is and what a great ward family we have. Everyone is begging to help. The offers are getting crazier all the time. We're feelin the love! Thanks, friends!
  • Although I've lost my fav spot on the couch, I get to break in a new one on the love seat.
  • Tyler has 2 stylish new boots. They're even peek-toed, so trendy!
  • Tyler has promised me the sun, moon, and stars when his feet are better... and I fully intend to cash in!
  • I get to learn and practice patience, which is always edifying.
  • I've had the opportunity to familiarize myself with the current music scene, since we've been spending so much time in the car.
  • We have a rad shower seat. I can chill in there till the hot water runs cold. If only those kids would stop pounding on the door...
  • With all the dings on the wood trim from Ty's wheelchair, we'll have to get it replaced which is something I've been wanting to do since we moved in.
  • I see now, even with this challenge before us, how blessed we are and how manageable our trials are!

He's right. I do feel better.

Now its your turn.

What's the sunlight in your life?

11 comments:

Dnnr said...

Ah Carrie, that's so beautiful. You have such a great attitude. What an inspiration to us all!!!

Carrie said...

Danner, thanks, but my attitude isn't that great. Just gotta fake it till you make it, right?

And I was kinda thinking the list would be funny, but I guess not. I'll take inspirartional...

And you didn't answer my question, Danner. What's your sunshine?

Becca said...

hey carrie, I loved the blog. I really did appreciate the sunshine. It made me reflect on my life. I was thinking today how sad I was that camilla had to leave all of her friends and how sad she was about it. I was also sad that we had no car and we have been stuck in our house for the past 6 weeks. Then at that moment Camilla and Jonathan were playing so cute. I realized one of my sunshines from this move...that they have become best friends. They love to play togther. oh, the hours of chase and mommy and daddy, and all the fun. They trully are best friends and could play for hours on end together.

Boston Family said...

I thought your sunshine was funny, but amazed that at the same time you could think of so many rays to list. Amazing! Keep the optimism up! You can do it!

shannon j said...

I love doing that to! I was at a women's conference for my stake yesterday and one speaker told us each day we should find something good in our life. Such a great advise!

My sunshine?
Well this past week I was offered a job for when I'm in grad school that will waive my tuition and pay me! The job was with the organization I already work for and they just hired me without doing any other interviews.

jeanine said...

That was a great list... it made me smile. You are too funny. Let's see... my sunshine? That we actually HAD some sunshine for a few days--it will help me get through this next week of COLD.

Megan said...

Ha, ha. I got that your list was funny Carrie! :) You are such a creative writer - I love reading your posts!

Sunshine for me? His name is Carson. He's 6 days old. He wakes me up at night, I'm tired, exhausted, and I can hardly stand the pain of nursing right now, but he is the sweetest part of my world right now. And he's growing up too fast.

Dnnr said...

Carrie - your blog is my sunshine. And it was funny. Prez. Hinckley's words were beautiful - sorry for the confusion.

More sunshine:
Nieces and nephews!!! Funny brother-in-laws! Great older sisters! A job coming up! Dating! Summer! Soon-to-be-summer nights! March madness! The gospel!

lori said...

this is great, Carrie. My sunshine on this sunless days is that Lucy got dressed without SCREAMING (a tradition of late). Gotta love those toddlers! Hope your invalid is mending...

Katie L said...

Those are great sunny points in your life-hahaha! That is great council and I need to make happy lists every once in a while too, just so I can remember that stupid, small things don't need to ruin my mood, day, and outlook. Maybe I'll do this on my blog so I can share all the sun in my life with you guys.

I love the commit about everything being done perfect because you are the one doing it-Hahahaha! I feel the same way too! Your list gave me a chuckle!!

Megan said...

My sunshine today is that for the first time in my life, my children have a fenced in yard with grass and a swingset that they love. I can actually send them outside and not worry about them running away, getting hurt, or getting super dirty.