Friday, February 22, 2008

Two words for you...

Church ball.







Yep, on top of booger boy's continued illness (day 4 of not eating, could this really only be an ear infection? *tired sigh*) I now get to nurse a broken foot. No, not mine, Tyler's. They say timing is everything. Well, (dripping with sarcasm) Tyler really picked a great time to snap a bone.

Which brings me to my 4th Rule For Living. Even if he enjoys it, even if you think its fair he gets a night with 'the guys',


do not let your husband
play church ball.



Nothing good ever comes from Church ball. If there isn't an injury, there's always some guy living out the glory days of his high school basketball career that annoys everyone. And even if the high school star isn't in your ward, you've got the guy that thinks if he could do it all again today, he would be the high school basketball star. He's improved a lot over the years, so pass him the ball, like, all the time because he'll nail the shot. Oh, forget passing him the ball! He's a one man show. He'll just get the rebound himself (because he's that good) and run it down the court and shoot even though he's got no shot at the basket. And if you happen to get the ball and you DON'T pass it to him, he'll get mad. A scuffle might ensue and for years he will see you weekly at church and internally question your worthiness to receive callings. You didn't pass him the ball- how could you ever serve faithfully and with the spirit as a ____(fill in the blank)___. Forget fun, pick-up-game basketball. Guys don't know how to keep it light. Gotta win and gotta be the best. And I know this because I've heard the stories from Tyler for years.


This rule is in jest, really. Tyler will be back on the court every Thursday night after his required 4-6 weeks in a cast, but until then I get to add chauffeur (it's his right foot- and he's in sales, he drives ALL the time...I don't know how we're going to work that one out), nurse, and semi-single parent to my repertoire of hats I wear for a while.


So really, the not playing, it's about me. After six years of successfully preventing serious injury after countless church basketball games and Turkey Bowls, I don't need the aggravation. I know, I'm not the one in pain, but it is a pain to me. Mostly because I ain't Florence Nightingale. Not even close. I'm more like the sergeant who tells his men to suck it up and get tough. (Have you heard the ruptured appendix story? Tyler complains of an upset stomach, I basically tell him to quit whining and send him on a hike with the boy scouts. Comes home, pain returns. Me: Take some Mylanta and stop complaining! Doctor: Um, your appendix is ruptured and we're basically going to open you up and hose you off inside to keep you from getting an deadly infection. Me: shamed, sorry, repentant)


Like everything else, it's really not as bad as I make it sound and we'll survive pretty easily. Just don't expect me to plaster a smile on my face as I hold down the fort. That might be asking just a little too much. His injury is pretty much self-inflicted, which means 'Suck it up and get tough' is all this Sarge is gonna say for a while.

Over and out.

11 comments:

Megan said...

Oh man, girl! I so don't envy you!! And I totally agree 100% with you on the church ball topic. I've only seen Ian be totally ANGRY a few times in my life - ok 4 - and one was at a church ball game. He said something to the effect of, "I'm not gonna play in a game with a ref who can't REF!!!" - as he spiked the ball across the court. So great. And I totally know the post-high school hot shot type. You pegged him perfectly. Why do these boys continue to play in a game that's so lame?

Get better soon Tyler. :)

lori said...

Oh no!! Carrie, you've got all my happy thoughts heading your way. If I hadn't been laughing so hard at this post, I would have been in tears! I hope Brady recovers soon so that you're just nursing one boy!! Love you. Bless your heart!!

Boston Family said...

Church ball is pretty rough. It's like a crap shoot as to who gets hurt, and we're lucky when it's just a rug burn (darn carpeted gym!). Good luck, and hopefully your family will have a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Can it be? Shaun and Steven are playing church ball in CO with Tyler -- I hope they didn't take him out?? LOL! I so thought of them when I read your blog. (Sorry Melissa & Tammy . . . they are just so competitive. It makes me laugh!)

Gabrielle

Katie L said...

I just love the way you tell your stories! You are so creative in the way you write!! Poor guy. Yeah, luckily my husband isn't into sports, but I've heard many nightmares about church ball. It's just horrible, the things those guys will do!!! Good luck with your new full time job(s)!!!

Tyler Miller said...

I have to say, even though Church ball is what builds character in a participating people (I don't say men because sometimes we have some girls that come play) and is one of the greatest things about being a member of the church, this was not a fun experience. Yes, I will be back on the court as quickly as possible.

Through all of this, my wife has been great. She has been helping me at every turn, doing more for me than I could have asked for. She has truely been great.

Shannon B said...

I don't know who I feel more sorry for you or Tyler! I know how you feel Carrie, I am a "single" mom right now too (even on Saturdays). It's not fun holding down the fort. I have never broken a bone before so I don't really know how Tyler feels but it's probably no fun!

Hope it heals fast Tyler!

jeanine said...

Oh Carrie... you crack me up! Hope everyone recovers soon!

Michal Thompson said...

I feel your pain! Connor used to go to Church ball twice a week and I had to put the kids to bed by myself. He would come home telling me how many shots he made and how he was "the man." And then there are the injuries (ankle and Back.) When men get hurt or sick it adds to our list of things to do. When we get sick, no one takes care of us. And for some reason men are such big babies when it comes to all of that! Suck it up and try having a baby! I love you. Good luck!

shannon j said...

Oh boy! That's kind of funny but not at the same time. Lucky for me, Dave's not a big basketball player. If there was a church softball league I think he'd like to play that, but the chances to injury go way down. Actually now that I think of it, I think his Dad pulled his ACL playing church softball... I take back my last statement

Carrie said...

Thanks everyone for your sympathy!

Megan- I can NOT picture Ian doing that, and neither can Tyler! I don't know why they keep playing either. Although, Tyler loves our ward now. They actually don't have any high school hot shots and most of the guys know they aren't very good, but this is the first time we've had that kind of experience.

Megg- carpeted gym... YUCK!

Shan B- Yes, you are a single mom! I still at least get a little help... hope you're all surviving tax season #2 of many!

Shan J- So, Tyler read your comment and the first thing he said was, "I should tell her I broke my arm playing church softball"...

And for the record, Tyler is a great patient... most of the time. His biggest complaint is having nothing to do, so it could be much worse. He's taken very good care of me this year after my strep and the flu, so I kinda had my turn as nurse to him comin to me! Thanks again for all your loves!