Friday, August 10, 2007

What a man.




Don't know if you heard. President James E. Faust (2nd counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) passed away in the early hours of this morning. Click here for the official press release from the church. He was a completely wonderful human being. Cliche, I know, but I can't think of any other words to describe him, maybe one of you will.


I don't have anything profound to say, but as I've been thinking about him as I ran my errands today, I thought of how much I have learned from him. Just this past year, I have been able to read his words frequently. While serving in Relief Society, I put together a program (from an existing one) that allowed me to scour the Conference articles for inspiring words for the sisters in my ward. Every topic I looked up, there was a remarkable thought from Pres. Faust and many directed at the women in the church. He was so inspiring and loving and I felt like I knew him more by reading so many of his conference talks. So, as we celebrate Pres. Faust and his remarkable life, here are some thoughts he had for the women of the church.

"As daughters of God, you cannot imagine the divine potential within each of you. Surely the secret citadel of women's inner strength is spirituality. In this you equal and even surpass men, as you do in faith, morality, and commitment when truly converted to the gospel. You have 'more trust in the Lord [and] more hope in his word.' This inner spiritual sense seems to give you a certain resilience to cope with sorrow, trouble, and uncertainty.

You sisters do not know the full extent of your influence. You sisters enrich all of humanity. All human life begins with you. Each woman brings her own separate, unique strengths to the family and the Church. Being a daughter of God means that if you seek it, you can find your true identity. You will know who you are. This will make you free- not free from restraints, but free from doubts, anxieties, or peer pressure. You will not need to worry, "Do I look all right?" "Do I sound OK?" "What do people think of me?" A conviction that you are a daughter of God gives you a feeling of comfort in your self worth. It means that you can find strength in the balm of Christ. It will help you meet the heartaches and challenges with faith and serenity.

I wonder if you sisters can fully appreciate the innate gifts, blessings, and endowments you have simply because you are daughters of God. A woman can and must have an identity and feel useful, valued, and needed... She must feel that she can do something for someone else that no one else ever born can do."

So, what's your favorite talk by Pres. Faust? Here's one that I have been contemplating lately.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Carrie - he gave a beautiful talk in April about forgiveness (at conference). He was such a great speaker and a wonderful man. I'm glad we have his words in writing to remember him by.

lori said...

Beautiful counsel to women. He was such a gentle advocate of our gender, wasn't he?!

Loved reading this tribute, Carrie!

Carrie said...

Megan, I loved that talk too! SSSooo good. Lori, your words about him were beautiful! Thanks for sharing!