Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Green blog, green me!

We've gone green here. Our blog is green, our shopping bags- although not the color green- are green, and we're newbies...again. Green to the whole central Washington scene, if you will.

I've counted... 7 moves in my less than 7 years of marriage. I'm use to being the 'new kid on the block'. I'm use to going to church and introducing myself over and over and OVER again. And at the onset of a move, I usually get mad, then I get resigned, and then, by the time the boxes are filling, I'm excited. And this move was certainly no different. But now I'm stuck. In a smallish town. In 100 degree weather. With nowhere to go.

Wishing for some people to call to hang out with me.


Wondering why I was so excited about the prospect of living here.


Thinking that a week and a half really isn't enough time to find a new bff, so what am I complaining about?


Yes, I know. Give it time, Carrie. And I will. I always do. I'm the queen of 'giving it time'. The thing is, to know us is to love us. The hard part about that is that you have to KNOW us, which, upon first examination, may not seem that appealing. We have some adorable, albeit loud, children who usually behave like angels but mostly behave like the animals they occasionally pretend to be. And they've both been in therapy at the tender ages of 4 and 2. Granted, that therapy was speech and physical, but it certainly lends itself to conjure up unfavorable stereotypes. We (and by we, I mean me) also tend to share too much too often too soon. But I promise in a few weeks we would've been close enough to divulge such personal information to one another anyway. And we have a slight tendency to be a bit clingy. But see, I move, on average, once a year, so we gotta get the friendship train rolling if it's gonna last. And then there's our (and by our, I mean Tyler's) witty humor... you might call it sarcasm. Its thick around here. Thicker than molasses. Some might say its hard to tell when we're serious and when we're sarcastic. We say, just shrug and laugh. Or do what I do and ignore him until he's too mad to attempt any of his dry humor.

But this doesn't mean we're completely unlovable, does it?

We've got some great qualities, too. We'd do just about anything for a friend. Loyal to a fault. And we have moments of true wit that isn't laced with sarcasm. I promise. And we love food and will share our lunch, or dinner, or dessert with anyone. Sometimes we score great tickets to stuff and share with our friends. And we're *usually* really fun to play games with, as long as you let us win. And if you don't mind an occasional tantrum, my kids are totally fun to hang with, too.

I dunno. Sounds to me like we could use some help...

So dish, people. What's your 'go to' method of friend making? How do you trick people into thinking you're the most awesome thing since the Rodeo hit town?

17 comments:

Ashley said...

I like your blog! I can relate with what you're going through. I've been married just barely three years and already we've moved three times. We made a big move a year and a half ago from Utah to Seattle, and had to make all new friends. It took awhile! For awhile I felt like I had no friends here. I guess one of the only things I did was realize that I had to start inviting people over. I started inviting people over for game nights and dinners, and now have a small but fun circle of friends. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the new look of your blog! Very cute!

As for making friends . . . be yourself. That's what made me fall in love with you! :-)

Also, take Ashley's advice and invite some people over from the ward that you want to get to know better.

I agree it takes time to make really good friends!! I'm still looking for some good ones since all you gals moved away!

Gabrielle

Shannon B said...

You are much more patient than me, and so you got that going for you! As for hanging out, we will be right over, how about Friday? Sound good??

I haven't moved as many times as you but I take WAY longer to adjust and way longer to make friends. As soon as you get a calling, you will make friends (or be forced to) and then the ball will start rolling. Can't wait to see ya SOOOOOON!!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

Ashley, hi! Thanks for the tips. We're in Ellensburg. Maybe you could be my friend!

Gab- you made me feel good about myself. Thanks.

Shan- I CANNOT wait for this weekend. I can't wait to see your red hair, your belly, you, and your kids!

Oh, and my brother too, I guess.

Katie staten said...

You know how in Kuna, we could just pop over to someone's house and have impromtu fun? Michigan isn't like that. People don't just show up. It's like you have to have a formal appointment to go visit someone. I don't like it. People think I"m wierd,(well we all know that's the case anyway), because I don't follow the crowd. I just keep showing up and showing people it's kind of fun to casually get together. I had a really hard time when we moved here because I felt so isolated and lonley. We had friends invite us over the first Sunday we moved here (they're transplants here too), and they are some of our best friends now. We in turn invited a different new family over and they too are our other best friends.
The bus stop was the way I've made my best friends in the neighborhood. We have some great neighbors, (and some we only see when we take treats to them on Christmas - which by the way is something else that isn't done here).
Just be yourself, and be a friend. Good Luck!

Katie L said...

I can't help much-hahaha! I've been married and in Rexburg for almost 7 years and I'm just now starting to reach out to make friends! This is a very temporary town to live in. Everyone is coming and going, so I hate to get attatched to friends here. I also had a really snobby, bad friend for a long time, and I think that horrible relationship made me afraid to try to find better friends. Right now my only way to find a good friend is to find a happy, nice, easy going person whith kids close in age with my own. Sounds to hard to find, right? I bet your new BFF is just waiting for you to find her!! Or find the bubbly lady in your ward who knows everyone- she can introduce you to other ladies!

jeanine said...

Carrie, I wish I was there! I want to hang out with you. So, I don't have any great tips because it takes me FOREVER to make friends. I just now feel like I'm making friends and we've been in Piedmont for 3 1/2 years. Inviting couples over for dinner is always good (although it can cause a lot of stress.) I have a friend that just moved and she started a play group in her ward, made fliers, told people at church and it was a great success! I guess that's a less stress method.

Steven said...

all those "faults" you listed are the things I LOVE about you guys. Funny...interesting! Maybe you can look at it as a friend "hiatus". Just till someone is knocking down your door.

Megan said...

You are so cute. And your ward will love you. Someone who moved a lot told my mom (who was telling her about me and my loneliness in a new state, ward, etc) that it takes about a year to really get a good group of friends. I guess in your case, you don't have that much time! :) And I'm not one to give advice, since we just passed the year mark in our HUGE ward, and I still feel like I don't have a "girlfriend" here yet...although I am meeting a lot more people these days.

And we love being around family - even though we don't see them everyday - we are driving distance and it's great to have that support system.

Change is hard. I'm still adjusting and get sad when I think about Maple Valley and my circle of friends there.

And I don't think you need to worry about your kids and "therapy". That's never been an issue with us - and I've never even given it a second thought when I've heard about other people's kids in therapy. Your kids are adorable....

Amanda said...

I apologize I don't have any good advice. I go through the exact same thing. Good Luck, I hope things work out. I was wondering how you got the "I Belong" Logo on your page? I was looking around the website and couldn't find out how?

shannon j said...

Well you are in a smallish area, so hopefully it will be easier to get to know everyone. I have the same problem. I made some great friends when I moved to Pullman but they have all moved out. Then after I was married I had lots of family around but they all moved out too. Now I have lots of friends at church- but I'm lost on how to move forward to the best friends stage! I feel like all of my good friends and I have just clicked from the start. I think everyone so far has given great advice. Try going to community activities or library story times... maybe you could meet people with kiddos the same age as yours. Plus with Lainey going into school in the fall you will probably meet other parents. It takes time- hang in there.

Megan said...

When we moved into the ward we are in now I was feeling very much like you. NO one came up and introduced themselves on our first Sunday. Except one girl and I think she only said something to me because we were smushed in the doorway together. And then I got put into primary as a teacher...just another way to NOT meet people. Anyway...after a couple of months of feeling left out, and talking to some other women... I realized that they were all feeling the same way I was. Every time I'd talk to someone about not knowing anyone, they'd say, "I don't know anyone either!" So I realized that I needed to stop feeling sorry for myself and get out there and invite others over. It's nice to have people over for dinner and/or game nights but that's kind of stressfull for me with all of the kids. And it's hard to really get to know someone when you're stressed. So for me, playdates are a great excuse to meet other people. Plus your kids love it! Oh yeah...and I have a tendency to divulge too much too soon as well. Maybe that's why we hit it off so well at Aaron's wedding. (And I'm sure it had nothing to do with being smushed in Ian's car(riding on each others laps?) on our drive out there.

Emily Widdison said...

this post cracked me up. I could almost hear you speaking. I am going through the same exact thing over here in Utah...but I'm not too sad about it YET because I'm sick and pregnant so my social butterfly is hibernating. I don't have any good suggestions except be yourself and get out there! Where are you anyway?

Melissa said...

Listen lady, you are awesome, funny kind, have beautiful children and a great personality. you know how I know your awesome, cause your friends with me!!! j/k! You make friends so easy. I know your up for the challenge, and besides, just drive to Boise every once in a while and you can pop in to my house everytime!!! Love ya girl! You will so get used to the small town thing and love it, or you'll just move in a year!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Washington! Well, I hope that out move to Maryland goes as smoothly as your guys. Let us know your new address.

Michal Thompson said...

Can I copy and past your last two post to my blog- same things I am feeling right down to the sarcastic husband and all!!! You will have to give me pointers in two weeks!

Laurie said...

Wow, who needs friends in Ellensburg when you have enough blog friends to leave 15 comments!? You're rollin in the blog love! ;)