
And now for the 'and then some' (read: We're done counting blessings so you might rightly suspect a little complaining coming).
As for the small town life, still charming and quaint. Still mostly loving it. I do have a few concerns that, since I know no one on any town councils or committees, will have to fall to you to hear.
1. Have you heard of the windy city? You think it's Chicago, don't you? I don't think so. Try this little blip on the map. Whoever called Chicago the windy city needed to keep on walking. It was 82 yesterday, but I was COLD- like getting goosebumps cold- because the wind was blowing so hard. And picnics. Not so much fun if you have to hold everything down that weighs less than 16 ounces. Side note: Besides the wind, I'm completely in LOVE with the weather here. Always warm but not too hot. Perfect, in my estimation. Of course, as long as the gale force winds aren't so 'gale force' and all.
2. By a show of hands, how many people got full marks on the portion of their driving test that covers parallel parking? (No, Tyler, you can't answer.) Yeah, I think those are the only points on the driving test I missed. Well, I rue the day I learned how to do that maneuver. I should've paid closer attention because all that lack of attention I gave Sister Gunnell is totally coming back to bite me in the derriere. Everything, or almost everything, that is in this small town is in the downtown area and like any downtown area, is mostly accessed by parking in a parallel fashion on the street in which your intended destination is located. I can't do it. I just really can't parallel park. So although I'm only 5 minutes from my destination, I have to spend another 5 to 10 figuring out where a spot is that I can pull into or I have to find a parking lot that is within reasonable distance to my stop.
3. People, there is only ONE radio station that comes in clearly. It's country. The other two that come in static-y and only occasionally are Hispanic (nothing against Hispanic music, just can't really understand it since it's all in Spanish) and another country station. Now, I don't hate country music and there was a time when I listened to it all the time. That week went by quickly and I realized I didn't like it as much as I wanted to like to please my new boyfriend, Tyler. In Denver, after spending some serious time in the car driving Tyler to and from work, I found out how much I really love music. Regular, popular music that I thought I'd outgrown since having kids and 'growing up', but I was wrong. I still love popular music and I miss it now. And this town is just not cutting it. I might have to figure out how to buy music online and do so occasionally.
Okay, my complaints aren't that huge. If anyone has any secrets to parallel parking, please pass them my way. To end on a lighter note, here are some pictures of my two greatest blessings:
Lainey loves to dress up, doesn't matter in what. She found our bag of winter gear and decided to model it for me.
On Saturday, when we were leaving Grandma's to go to the temple Lainey asked Daddy if he was going to the temple to get married to Mommy... How do you explain 'proxy' to a 4 year old??


They both love to draw like you wouldn't believe. And I love to have them draw. Such simple, easy entertainment! And even when I'm not around, they can get the stuff out and color on their own. If Brady would stop coloring on the floor, that would be good, but whatever fosters creativity is okay, right?
Isn't he the cutest?







15 comments:
Just me, or did the picture format wrong in the blog post? You should A) invest in XM radio or B) get an MP3 to play in your car, either with an input/output jack or just an FM transmitter or C) get a phone that can connect to the internet, get to pandora.com and listen to a radio station and connect it to your stereo with an input/output. I've opted for the FM transmitter myself, but if I had a phone that connected to the internet and an input/output jack, I'd be all over Pandora.
Wow, I didn't know your "small town" was near Seattle! Where do you live? I live north of Seattle, in Lynnwood, definitely not a small town and I'm guessing I'm closer to Seattle than you are. Isn't the weather in the Pacific Northwest the most gorgeous ever?? I am so in love with it! And I've never been to a Mariner's game before but I really want to go now because of the way you described the atmosphere at the stadium. Sounds amazing!
Carrie,
I was thinking maybe I need to move there . . . . just because your complaint #3 would make it my Heaven! Do you realize CMT is what gets me through my workouts every morning. I couldn't do it without that station!
Gabrielle
I love Seattle! Every time I come over the mountains, I get this sense of being home. Even though I've never lived in Seattle- I just think of all Western Washington as my home.
I was going to suggest exactly what Laurie said about the whole radio station thing. Luckily we get some from Spokane so we have a few more, but not much.
I DO NOT know how to parallel park in the slightest bit! i bet you are better than me, seriously. Looks like you have been having fun playing in Seattle. We are close to it, but not close enough! I wanna come over and ride with you to Seattle in Aug when Bets comes!!!!!!!!!! LETS DO IT!
Okay, so I feel you pain with the parallel parking. Down by the beach it's all parallel parking. Once, Amy and I headed down there and were trying to parallel park in front of some guy's house. He just happened to be outside and watched me struggle for probably 5 minutes trying to get into this little space. Eventually he came and walked me through it. SO EMBARASSING!
As for radio I'd get an MP3 and download some music... that's what I do most of the time anyway.
Yes, I really truly miss the Great Northwest!!! We would move there in a heartbeat if we could! Michael is from Snohomish, which is close to Lake Stevens. And we go there any chance we get.
That is so funny that you only get country and Spanish music! POOR YOU!!! I hate country music...I guess this will give you a chance to buy all the CDs you might have wanted over your lifetime-hahaha!
I love Seattle. I love the Northwest. I LOVED being "home" for a couple weeks! I'm jealous you are a resident now! I love Safeco field too. How fun!! I'm glad you are home.
I know what you mean about being "home." When we travel out West and I start seeing the terrain that I grew up with, I get so excited and happy. I'm learning to love the beauty of Michigan, but ya know, there's no place like home.
I'll admite it, most days I don't miss the Northwest at all. I am just a Midwest girl and that is the way it is, :-) I do however really miss going to Mariner's games.
I failed my first driving test.
No use, give up on parrallel parking. That is how it was in Boston, and I mean EVERYWHERE. But I gave up. I wish my kids liked to draw!
Well, your not alone. I can't parallel park either. It's really not as easy as it looks. I always make my husband do it or I avoid it like the plague. The parallel parking almost kept me from getting my licence. I was lucky enough to pass my drivers test by one point and I have had no desire to parallel park since. There's really no shame in it!
okay so I wish I knew that you live in Ellensburg my dear...we were just passing through last week! how fun that you are back in the northwest! i am sure that you are going to make friends so fast because you are an amazing gal! i'll have to let you know when we head over to seattle again so we can stop and say hi or something!!!and you know who else lives in the burg...meagan montour...i don't know her married last name...remember ben montour...his little sister...small world
I didn't realize you were near Seattle either! Tenley and her husband just moved to Seattle! I need to take a trip up, but let me know when the weather is a little better, if that ever happens!
Carrie,
Thanks for always entertaining me when I read your blog. Its weird how I feel like I have met you just by reading your posts!
Post a Comment