Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Facebook.

I just don't get it.

I'm sorry.

It makes no sense to me. What is the point? Am I suppose to send messages to people? Why can't I just send an email? Or, if they really are my friends, can't I just call them?

And I get serious anxiety whenever I see the words 'write' and 'wall' together, so writing on someone's wall -even a virtual one- doesn't seem like fun. And when you read someone else's wall it is so annoying to only read one side of a two sided conversation. Can't you tell us what the heck you're talking about? Maybe it makes you feel cool to be the only one who knows what jellybean26 is saying.

Speaking of feeling cool, am I suppose to feel cool if I have a lot of friends? Is this like the grown up version of the cool table? "I have 127 friends. How many do you have?" I was over that before I left high school. Why would I care to participate in that idiocy now? I am totally cool. I don't need facebook to tell me that.

Whatever.

I'll check it. I'll keep with it. Because I have friends who LOVE it and use it lots. But I don't have to like it.

But I do love my friends who use it. So don't be mad at my harshness.


Whoa. I think I have some pent up frustration not relating to this issue. Don't mean to be so harsh. Maybe I'm just anxious because my brother's wife , my beloved sister in law is in labor. Or maybe I'm trippin (see, totally cool) because my kids have already colored on the table with permanent marker today. Oh, and they got out playdough and crumbled it everywhere. Or maybe my irratibility has more to do with my sunburn that is itching like, well, skin dead from too much exposure to the sun really wishing to be scratched off.


Can't.

Reach.

My back.



10 comments:

jeanine said...

Oh Carrie you crack me up! I'm totally with you--I don't get facebook at all. Man.

shannon j said...

Haha Carrie you crack me up!!

Okay to explain the whole facebook thing. When I came to WSU 4 years ago it was just starting up, and I thought the exact same thing- what the heck is the point of this website. However I quickly found it a good way to stay in touch with friends. It was only for colleges at that point so I liked staying in touch with friends at a different college. So I stuck with it. But now it has kind of changed and in my opinion it is a way to show off to everyone how popular you are (obviously not to everyone), but you get the point. However I continue to check it every day because it has become somewhat of an addiction- like blogging. I have some weird interest in knowing what exactly everyone is doing and who they are dating, etc.

I think the site is designed for social networking –whatever the heck that means…

In the meantime- I’m still addicted.

Ashley said...

I know what you mean. I like facebook to some extent and use it because it's a fun way to keep in touch with people. But isn't it funny when someone adds you as a friend and then never sends you a message or anything? It's like, "Thank you for confirming me as a friend, now I'll never talk to you or acknowledge that you exist." Weird! And I've actually been mad at myself for having my feelings hurt when I write on someone's "Wall" that I haven't seen in forever and then she never writes back. I find myself thinking, "Maybe she never liked me at all..." THAT is why I don't always like facebook!

Katie L said...

The only reason I'm even on facebook is to just occaisionally catch up with old friends....and don't worry, I only have like 40 friends, so I guess I'm not at the "cool table"-hahaha!!

Megan said...

I agree and disagree with you. I have some weird obsession with knowing what everyone is up to in their lives. I love seeing all of the people from high school. However...I totally agree with the whole "wall" thing, and getting as many "friends" as you can. I've stopped accepting friend requests from people I know I won't talk to. Even if I know exactly who they are. There are just some people who I don't really care to have anything to do with and I highly doubt they care about me. I just like it as a way to see what everyone's up to - kind like bloggin. :)

Megan said...

I'm behind the times, or just too old - cuz I can't get into stuff like that. What's the other one that everyone is on too - My Space? I don't care to keep up with High School friends and if I do - I'm like you, I email them! I agree with Shan, they kind of seem like popularity contests to me. I don't get it either. I'll stick to blogging! I have too much going on to have another site like that to keep up with!

Laurie said...

It all kind of depends on what your purpose is for using it I guess. I don't think twice about how many friends I have and never look to see how many friends other people have. If I don't think I'll ever talk to a person on Facebook, then I don't add them, even if I saw them just a few weeks ago. And, if I know I saw someone for the last time a few weeks ago, i.e. moving out of the dorms, I delete them because I don't want to weed through any information about them that would pop up on my Newsfeed.

I think I'm such a fan just because I had a MySpace and hated it, and deleted it, and Facebook is infinitely better than MySpace. Sharing pictures and videos is fun on Facebook, faster than email. You can also comment about peoples pictures and videos, which is something that seems easier than commenting via email. In college, it's nice to find out about events over Facebook, probably the only way I find out about somethings.

Truthfully, some people I was friends with this past year and now think "I'll probably never see again" I keep them as my friend to just see if they get married, what crazy stuff they get into, etc. Kind of like stalking, but hey, they could delete me I guess lol. Anyway, I definitely would agree you get the most use out of it in college, but whatever floats your boat. You are right in saying that everyone could use email for a lot of the same functions, but *shrug* Facebook is a more entertaining format I guess lol ;)

Michal Thompson said...

I love you! That is all i need to say.

Steven said...

Amen to that!! I've never even been to facebook. I thought I was up on times because I blogged...oh, I am so behind!

SweetAbbs said...

It's from "10 things I hate about you" isn't it?

BONUS POINTS FOR ME!