Friday, December 5, 2008

And yet another post related to weight loss...

Life in the 'Burg is probably somewhat Mayberry-esk. Local people, local shops, local life filled with local chatter. And while we love the Mayberry, we don't love the lack of retail. And by we, I, of course, mean me. There is literally no where to shop in this town. We have one Maurice's that carries, on average, one size of each shirt, pants, skirt, or sweater. And we have our Fred Meyers- which is a life saver on late Thursday afternoons for baby shower going women who've forgotten to pick something up while visiting a larger city offering more retail options. But I digress. There is also the Goodwill, but in a farming/poor college student community such as this, you can guess how many have picked over the limited selections there. So as we trekked over mountains and hills to Grandma and Grandpa's for our Thanksgiving feast, I prepared mentally to shop. Till I dropped.

I'm not a huge fan of crowds and really hate Black Friday, but seeing as how it was the only day I had available to indulge myself in retail glory, I braved the crowded mall and drug my shopping-hating mother along with me for the trip. A girl's gotta have back up for a spree like I wanted to have. We bobbed and weaved through the crowded mall and searched high and low for things befitting a mostly nonexistent wardrobe. Stacy and Clinton sat like little personal stylists while I browsed every rack in Macys and hunted through rows and rows of denim in JCPenneys. We walked past Lane Bryant and I paused to bid a fond adieu to all that great style in sizes for people who couldn't get it at a 'regular' store. I thought of all the nice people I've chatted with over sales counters in various Lane Bryant stores. Some of the best customer service I've ever had. I'll miss that.

And then I fell. Not literally fell. But I fell back into the Gap. Glory of glories. It was my first time in there in 6 years. This is were half my high school wardrobe was purchased with money earned with my own blood, sweat and tears. This place was were I knew my Daddy loved me (okay, of course I knew before that incident I just linked to, but I've gotta hype up the drama here so you get the momentous-ness of the event). I actually tried stuff on- not the $75 jeans, because a mother of 2 in a single income household has gotta have her limits, but other stuff. I touched the stacks of knitted wool. I oohed and aahhed over the colorful, striped, 'perfect for Christmas gifts' sweaters stacked neatly on that standard white table in the center of all the Gap-i-ness. I fit into these clothes again. Thank the heavens! My world is back in its correct orbit! And then I walked out with. . . nothing. Which was actually quite liberating in and of itself. I could walk into the Gap and tell that retail giant that they didn't have anything this girl with cash burning a hole her pocket could want. Maybe next time.

Mom (did I mention she really hates shopping?) and I were still going strong, still out-striding all the other bargain hunters. We walked into the next store and I fell in love. Until that day, that moment, I'd never been to an Ann Taylor Loft. Good gravy that store is awesome. I tried on a sweater, opened the door to show Mom (who still hates shopping, by the way) and said, "I've gotta have this sweater." Deep purple, feminine. Love it! And the $6 shirt I scored off the clearance rack was also a little gem.

I went home after spending a few hundred dollars feeling like a million bucks. And I'm still floating on that high every time I slip into one of my new articles. I forgot how much I like shopping. Or maybe this was the first time I did actually like shopping. I can tell you that this is honestly the first time I've liked my body. Sure, I've got a lower tummy that just won't flatten and thighs that will always be more thunderous than thin. Sure, Heidi Klum will always look better than me walking down a runway in nothing but her unmentionables and some fancy wings even after she's had two kids just like me. And maybe I'll never get catcalled by randy men cruising down the street while I chug up a hill with my stroller filled with children, but I think I actually like myself enough not to care about those things.

When I weighed this weight 6 or 7 years ago, I hated my body. When I was 25 pounds lighter than this 7 or 8 years ago, I still didn't even like my body. I was so busy comparing myself to others, so busy wishing I could buy a smaller size (probably at the Gap) that I took for granted that I actually looked good. I didn't listen when my then boyfriend/fiance/soon-to-be husband told me I was beautiful. Now, I not only believe it, but you might actually hear those words come out of my mouth as I gaze at myself in the mirror (usually fully clothed, still look like I've definitely had two kids if I'm not clothed and that just ain't pretty). I catch myself staring at my toned calves and love them! People, I love my calves! I love them not only because they look good, but because I did that. Those muscles, I made them with my sweat and determination.

My body may not be perfect. You may always be skinnier than me, but I look dang good. And that's okay with me.

So, now you know I'm in love with my calves and to honor everyone who likes themselves just as they are, I really wanna know, what do you love on that hot body of yours? Eyes, lips, arms, toosh??? What is your favorite feature on you? This means I'd like you to comment, because blogging is nothing if not narcissistic and I wanna know that someone, somewhere actually read my entire post.

And I know you all want a picture. Can't you just wait for 8 more pounds? Seriously though, our computer is dead. Dead dead. And we're in the process of having some highly skilled professionals rescue the data on our old hard drive. I need that data. I can't have an after picture without a before. Hang tight. Pictures are coming to the blogosphere soon!

And can I just say that everyone needs a blog just so they can feel the love that I felt when I read all your comments. Seriously, your congrats to me on this monumental triumph mean more than these words I'm typing can say. I appreciate the support and encouragement from everyone, those who've never seen me heavy, those who've never seen me thin, those who've never seen me at all, and especially those who've been there through the whole thing.

12 comments:

Usually Kristen sometimes Kevin said...

I love you Carrie! I love reading your blog, I love feeling motivated by you, I love hearing the real Carrie having real experiences. I wish we could have overlapped living here and you could help me get/stay motivated. I have a goal, it isn't huge, but it is a goal. 4 pounds by new years. Is that pretty realistic? I've wanted to post a comment before, but I wasn't committed enough to publicly announce my goal, but I need to be that committed, so now it's time.

Aside from that, I can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks! Not just to see your hot bod, but your whole family, your house, your new life. We really miss you guys. But, the original reason for the pose is this sentiment...

After Madi was born I used to be a little bitter about the sad looking tummy that she left me. (My tummy, although no one ever got to see it was my pride and joy.) I thought, after I endure pregnancy for 9 months and have made all this effort to be the faithful multiplier, shouldn't I be rewarded for my efforts, not punished? I know it is vain and selfish, but I just thought I deserved a little reward. I was so bitter every time I looked in the mirror and you can believe I never got near a mirror if I wasn't fully clothed. But, one day I had an epiphany. Heavenly Father created this absolute miracle inside of me. A baby grew in my tummy and all I have is stretch mark remnant. You'd think we would have to lose limbs or anything non-essential so the baby could grow, but all I lost was stomach texture. And, I was rewarded physically. He gave me the ability to nurse and lose most of that baby weight. He could have left me on my own to figure that one out, but instead he made milk making a great workout. Thank you. And above all, the spiritual and emotional payoff overcomes anything physical.

So, what do I love about my body? I love how it can change, heal and improve. I can't say I love my tummy, but I do take pride in it now. It is my battle wound. Maybe in a few pounds I can honestly tell you I love it, or maybe I'll find something else great to love, but for now I appreciate it.

Shannon B said...

It's hard to post somrthing nice about myself when I usually just think about all the stuff I DON'T like.

I guess I like the gene that I got from my dear mother that I can eat anything and everything I want and not gain.

Don't get me wrong, just because I don't tip the scales, doesn't mean that I am in shape or tonned or any of that. It's just nice that I can still wear the same clothes that I did in High School (although I might not want to :0)

Thanks for the reminder that we all still do have positives features on our bodies!
(sorry that was me who deleted, I spelled a lot wrong).

Adrienne & Scott said...

I love reading your blog Carrie. You're too funny! You are so much better with words than I am! Ha! Gap does remind me of you. Everything you owned in high school was from the Gap! Oh the good ol' days! That's great that you're loving your body knowing that it will never be "perfect." It stinks coming to that realization! I think my favorite body part is my lips...Big and juicy! haha!

Michal Thompson said...

You made me cry. Thank you for helping us all be grateful for who we are!!! I think my favorite thing about me is my eyes and my calves (I too can say I made them.) I love my toosh in a great pair of pants though.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

Loved the post! Laughed A LOT - especially at the GAP spot! Oh and the part, about your mom not liking shopping (but enduring because of your victory)! Love your mom -- she's so great.

Your friend Kristen has some great words of advice. I want to say DITTO with regards to HF and our bodies. Especially liked the part about the "magicial" way they can heal. I have thought of this a lot. I've pondered about how I didn't really take care of my body before but yet after some hardwork my body's been pretty forgiving and can look good again. (It reminds me a little of repentance.)

My favorite body part?? My much thinner face. I've loved it. When I read the part about you rediscovering your calves though I had to give a chuckle . . . cause I remember having that same moment.

Excuses ... Excuses!! We need fashion show pictures.

Love Ya . . . You crazy funny gal . . .

By the way, you need to call Tammy. You two need to talk. :-) It's about something FUN. It would be a great opportunity to show off your new HOT BODY! Did I mention it would be something really FUN?? You won't want to miss it! Very fun!! Oh and when you talk . . . one must remember gas prices have dropped A LOT!

shannon j said...

Carrie, I just love this post. I love reading about how you feel about your body. It inspires me to change my views about my appearance. Most days I try to feel that way... and I feel so much happier about life in general when I do.

There are two things I love about my body. The first is my hair. Growing up I hated it, it was so darn thick and it would not get straight like all of my friend’s hair. Then I met Mr. Flat Iron and I fell in love with my hair. I love it because I have enough natural curl to wear it curly one day and the next day I can straighten it if I want to.

Next, I love my girls (as Stacy and Clinton would say). I won’t say much more on that subject incase your dad reads this… I don’t know if I want my uncle Greg to know this much about me…

Katie staten said...

Weird of wierd, I love my feet and my wrists. I can tell by my wrists how much wieght I've put on and how much I need to loose. They are good wrists. My feet (as much as feet disgust me) are actually quite nice feet.
So after that note, Carrie can you come over to my blog and leave me some determination? My treadmill broke, (due to me convincing my husband he should start to excercise), and it's too cold and icy for me to run outside. Due to the recent unplanned for job change, we can't afford a health club membership right now, and running is what helps me to keep in the best shape. I'm still excercising with tapes and Wii fit and all and I play soccer once a week, but it's just not the same as actually running on a 5X a week basis. With the Holidays and such I need a boost. Thanks,
Katie

Carrie said...

Oh Kristen, loved your comment. I can't wait to see you either! I think that knowing I got my two babies by way of this nasty tummy is one of the reasons I'm okay if its never flat. You're so wise.

Shannon B, since you didn't really name something about yourself, I'll tell you something I like. I love your skinny arms. I don't know what it is about arms, but I love skinny ones. You also have great teeth. I have the greatest picture of you and Lainey and your smile is just BEAUTIFUL!

Adrienne, I love your lips too. People pay big bucks for those beauts.

Michal, I love your eyes, too! And I must say, in a great pair of pants, I love my toosh too. Its one place I can totally tell has gotten skinnier.

Gabe, your face is exeptionally thin, and beautiful! It makes your cheekbones stand out so nicely. Hey, I can't get Tammy's number, its on the computer thats dead. Tammy, if you read this, I'm dying to know what the heck Gabe is talking about.

Shannon J, you do have great hair. I'm very jealous of your hair and have been for a number of years. Its fab. And I'm so glad you like your girls! You made me laugh!

KT, I love skinny ankles and wrists almost as much as I love skinny arms! And its so true that its a good judge of where we are. I'm going to go stop by and leave so determination at your blog right now!

Becca said...

Carrie, thanks for the great post. I am so glad you are blogging again because I LOVE reading your blog. Just like Kristen said you are so good about telling about real life stuff and the real Carrie and you right it in such a fun, want to read more, kinda way.
I wish I was going out of Christmas too like everyone else so I could rejoice with you in all the hard work. Too bad I am not soo I want to see pictures:) Well, as for me I too lately have really been enjoying the miracle of having a baby and how wonderful it is to be able to have a baby and then have our body change back again. It only took 3 kids, but it is trully amazing what our bodies can do. I think my favorite thing about my body are my calves because I have always been a runner and even through pregnancy they stay toned and I love that. I love my eyes(probably because that is what most people comment on) but lately I have been loving my body a lot more. Most people who see me always comment on how thin I am after having a baby and I have felt so much cuter after having this baby. My tummy is more stretched after 3 and I still would like to lose more lbs (probably 25 but hey I only had a baby 3 months ago. I would be happy with 15 though.) but I really am grateful for the wonderful bodies HF has given us. Thank you for your post and reminding me how lucky I am and what precious gifts we have been given.

Megan said...

Carrie -

Another great, inspiring post. Thank you! Babies really do make you change the way you feel about your body, don't they?

I have to go with my sister on the same things I like about my body - I totally agree with the flat iron comment too! I don't have the wavy hair like Shan, but I do get it thinned on a regular basis! I finally just got it grown and cut to a spot that I love.

Megan said...

OK I not only loved your post, but I loved reading everyone's comments. How inspiring! It's so wonderful to hear women...mothers especially - comment about how beautiful their bodies are. There's a reason women are all over the cover of men's magazines - AND women's magazines. We are able to see beauty in other women, forgetting that we, too, are made in the same image. We are so used to seeing all of these fake, poked, prodded, tanned, smoothed, implanted bodies, that we don't realize that:

#1 - NO ONE looks like those girls in the magazines. OK someone does, but those "someones" probably make up .0000000000000000000001% of the American population. If you look around at the people in your neighborhood, church, grocery store, kid's schools, malls, etc - you will not find many who look like the magazines. Most of us are soft. Most of us have stretch marks. ALL of us have cellulite. But we are beautiful.

#2 The Lord created our bodies for a purpose. It is easier for us to gain weight because our bodies need to do that to have healthy, happy babies. We are designed to be mothers, and in that design - smushiness is part of the package deal. Smushy bodies are better for cuddling, anyway.

That said...It is still important for us to eat healthy and exercise. It just FEELS good. I know you know what I'm talking about. Whether you are doing it to lose weight, maintain weight, get stronger, or just to be healthy - it is important. The Lord gave us these beautiful bodies at a price...we need to take care of them. They will fail us if we aren't keeping up the maintenance.

And that leads me to my favorite part of my body. Right now it is my stomach. Odd, isn't it? It's ballooned and shrunk 3 times. It's got stretch marks. Even if I tighten it as much as I can, it still has a smushy spot. But I have been working hard to get it into shape. It is by no means "bikini ready." I doubt it ever will be - which is fine because I'm not planning on breaking out a bikini...ever. But it is strong. It doesn't have 4 rolls when I sit down(been there, done that). I don't fold my arms across it as much as I used to. I don't stand behind my kids in pictures just to cover it up. I don't buy shirts a size bigger so it will hang loose on my tummy. It looks the way it does because I've worked hard, and I'm proud of it.

I don't think I wrote this huge long thing because I thought tons of people would be reading it. I'm really glad I wrote it though. It's a great way to remind myself of what's really important.

But the most important thing I can say in this comment box is:

WAY TO GO CARRIE!!! I want to laugh, cry, and hug you all at the same time! I am in awe of your determination and perspective. You should write a book. No - seriously: You should write a book. Should I say it again? I think you have a wonderful way with words and a unique and NEEDED perspective on body issues and self worth. Love you Carrie!

Steven said...

Oh, yeah...love my calves...dang sassy! I'll call you.