I haven't been quiet about the fact that I've been slow to make friends in the 'Burg. Can't quite capture the hearts of the 'Burgians as I've captured yours. My hours of exercise at sometimes play-date prone hours might have something to do with it, but whatevs. Someone asked me how my GNO to Twilight went, and so here goes. It was awkward, but mostly fun.
Let's start with the first awkward fact. 5 women, first in line, two hours early to see a movie made for teenagers. So early, in fact, that it was just us and the 5 teenagers behind us for like an hour. We live in a town of 25,000 (if you count the college students). Its not like a major metropolis where large crowds gather. Even if every 'Burgian showed up, we just wouldn't be a that large of a crowd. The need for such line waiting was beyond my comprehension, but I really wanted to make some friends, so the lips stayed zip.
Awkward fact numero dos. One of the gals I went with was/is obsessed with the series. I don't mean that lightly. Please don't underestimate the power of the font size and slant of the word obsessed. She picked me up in her minivan and proceed to blast and sing along with the soundtrack she already had memorized. Then, when she ran to get cash, she noticed a magazine with Twilight actors on the cover and just had to buy it. And read in line. Out loud. And she even interspersed the magazines facts with ones she'd read on fan sites and in other magazine articles. (She really is super, SUPER nice. I really mean that. Just a very obsessed.)
Awkward fact #3. The young women from our ward were there. We were like 50 people ahead of them in line. They thought this meant we were cool. I thought this probably meant that we were weird, especially when looking down the line and seeing exactly zero other adults there. They came up and asked us if we were with 'Team Edward' or 'Team Jacob'. I had no idea what they were talking about. There are teams? Didn't Edward win? But what did he win? This excited fan stuff is so hard for me to follow.
Awkward fact #4. More like a moment. We ran from the line, down the hall to the theatre. The kids behind us weren't running, but we had to get the best seats? It felt weird. And very, very wrong. I'm twenty something, not twelve. I guess when in the 'Burg, do as the 'Burgians do, right?
Awkward fact #5. Here comes the part that'll draw out the comments. The next awkward fact was the dialogue. I said to the girl next to me as we laughed through a supposedly romantic and witty line that some things must not be meant to be said out loud. Maybe some lines are meant to be enjoyed only in the recesses of our romance seeking minds. The adolescent girls behind us certainly did not appreciate the giggling old ladies in front of them.
Awkward fact #6. Edward's acting. Sorry, Rob. You just aren't that great of an actor. Or maybe acting like you can smell someone's blood and want to suck it, but can't allow yourself to do so is just asking too much from a skilled actor such as yourself. Apparently, the line "Hold on, my little spider monkey" was some ad lib by Rob himself. Wow (that's not a good wow.). And now you understand my problems with the dialogue and hunky Rob's acting.
Awkward fact #7. Actually, another moment. More like 10 minutes. We were the last to leave the theatre. That's not necessarily awkward, but we took so long to leave because my new BFF was crying. The ending wasn't particularly sad, but she was. The movie was over. She just wanted it to go on forever and ever. Not having a clue what to say to a crying woman is always awkward, even if you yourself are a compassionate woman with somewhat active tear ducts yourself. Take my word for it.
So 7 awkward facts does not an exceptional night make. But 7 awkward facts mixed in with a lot of laughing, some insightful female conversation, and a little bit of feeling like belonging does make a fun night. And I will say, the Linkin Park song on the soundtrack was actually pretty awesome. And if I hadn't been there 2 hours early I wouldn't have gotten to know the ladies that I went with. Chatting about nothing and everything is a great way to get to know people. And even though Edward's acting left something to be desired, I thought the rest of the casting was right on the money. Bella was a much better actress than I thought she would be from the trailers, so that was great. And if I hadn't gone with the friend who was totally obsessed, I never would have seen Stephenie Meyer's cameo or known that it was filmed in Oregon or a lot of really interesting albeit pointless facts. It really is always fun to see a book you've read and imagined in your head interpreted by someone else.
Haven't gotten called back for a second date, so maybe it wasn't as good for everyone else as it was for me. Or maybe they've just been busy. It is 'the holidays', right?
3 months ago




14 comments:
Every time you post I am hoping for a picture- I know, I will wait. There are a few people I know as obsessed as this. I bet they love you!!
I loved your review - both of the night and the movie. I totally agree with you about the "spider monkey" comment. And what about the line when she asks how often he sneaks into her room? He said something like "Only the last couple of months." Would you not totally be weirded out by that? I guess the book captures the unawkwardness of that moment better than the actors. I am SO not a crazy-obsessed-know-all-the-facts kind of girl - but I did notice the Stephenie Meyer cameo.
As for the friend review...let's hope they don't blog-stalk you. And I'm proud of you for trying to make new friends. It's always hard when you move to get back into the groove of a new ward. It usually takes me a while.
Thanks for the review! And next time you're passing through AZ...I'll take you to Sedona! :)
Loved this post! You are too funny. (Although by the title I was REALLY hoping that there would be a picture.) I totally agree with your review of the movie... and the spidermonkey comment was super lame. Wasn't a fan of the "special effects" either.
ha...I agree with the lame comments coming from edward, and I too thought he might of ad-libbed himself. i DID think he was very cute tho! i forgot to ask you about it when i saw you the other day!
did i mention when i saw you that you look FABULOUS!??
you are so funny.
I am glad you got to know some women folk out there. I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know about any of the scenes you were talking about, but I am glad you enjoyed yourself despite some of the akwardness.
LOVED your post! You are funny. I could just imagine the awkwardness.
You are so funny! :) I saw the movie twice - loved it both times. But the spider monkey comment KILLED me both times. And then didn't Rosalee say it again during the baseball scene?
A lot of the stuff was funny, because we know the characters so well. I liked it. I mean, I saw it twice! :)
We had the giggling 12 years old in our theater....but we had a mix of young and old. And we had the crazy-see it at midnight-get a t-shirt, etc. girls in our ward...not obssessed as your friend, more having a fun GNO. I would just rather sleep! :)
Carrie . . . I'll take you out anytime & call you the next day! :-)
As usual, you amuse me. You already know my take on the show. You and I think alike.
Couple comments - I agree with Megan hope no one is blog stalking you. I know you're being funny I would just hope they'd know it too.
Also, had to laugh over the Jacob and Edward-team comments. Shows you how old we are getting since we don't have a "team!"
Love you --- you inspire me. Have you talked to Tammy?? What's the verdict??
Gabrielle
I still haven’t seen it. Am I the only person in the world? After reading a lot of blogs about the movie I thought I was. However the other day I asked my co-workers if they had seen it yet and most of them didn’t know what I was talking about which made me feel better that I’m not the last person on earth to see the movie.
Hi Carrie,
Thanks for the comment on my Max post. I do really appreciate hearing things like that. We've been going through a lot with him lately so it's good to hear some positive stuff!
Glad you're making new friends in your new area...even if it means excessive waiting in lines! :)
Thanks again for stopping by! Comment any time!
:)
Emily
All I have to say is: Hahahahahaha! What a funny post, as usual! I could just picture you"old" ladies terrorizing the movie theater and all those poor teenagers too! Hahahaha!!!
I'm so behind in my comments!
Loved this post SO MUCH! Am so with you on the movie review! (And Jeanine, amen to the special effects comment!)
Hope you guys are having a happy Christmas season! I love you and think you're amazing!
I totally understand what you mean about the friend thing. Since college I haven't made any real friends until I moved to my house here in Colorado. So I'm excited to finally have friends I see beyond Sunday and that I will keep in touch with. Hope it comes to you soon.
Post a Comment