Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Why do noses run and other puzzling questions of motherhood.

(This list has been growing for some time. Although some of these are silly and certainly rhetorical, some, I'm sure, have real answers. If you know an answer besides the obvious, please share it in a comment. And feel free to add your own puzzling questions on motherhood.)


Why do noses run? And why do my kids' noses run more than everyone else's? Really.

Why do tears fall? (Well, I guess there is gravity...)

Why do spiders look so scary? Why didn't God make them a little cuter if He knew we'd be spending so much time with them?

What is really going on inside an 18 month old brain? He's gotta be laughing at me, right?

Why does time and energy escape me so easily?

Why don't I get time outs for bad behavior? Maybe it would help.

Why don't they get it the first time? I really wanna know. Why am I constantly repeating myself?

What is under their fingernails? They haven't been outside. Where's this dirt coming from?

Why is it so easy to love my kids and simultaneously so easy to lose my patience?

What is so fascinating about boogers? Really?

Why does hair grow?


Why do I love this job even though most of the time I'm completely lost and out of my element?


Why do we like sweets and sugar more than the flavor of green beans or carrots? Why doesn't healthy food taste better?

Or why don't sweet foods have more nutrients in them?

Why can't anything ever stay clean? I'm not asking for forever cleanliness, just like a day. A day of no spills or dirt. Can't we keep the floor crumb free for a day?

Why is 'Why' such an annoying question? Particularily from a 3 year old? (Are you annoyed yet?)

How does every other mother in the world always know what to say and how to teach their kids when I never know what to say or how to teach them anything?


Will my children remember that there was a lot of fun in their childhood?

Will they know that I wouldn't trade a second of my time with them for anything else in the world?

How can two little people be so darn cute all the time?


How can only four little letters sum up all that I feel for my children?
l-o-v-e.



8 comments:

Megan said...

How does every other mother in the world always know what to say and how to teach their kids when I never know what to say or how to teach them anything?

I feel the same way, but when the time comes, you will know what to say...there's been some tender moments in my house when I've been promopted to teach a principle and I've acted on it.

Shannon B said...

Those are some good questions! When you get some answers let me know...I am dying to know!

Anonymous said...

it's not dirt under their fingernails it's poop!

Steven said...

Amen to that one!! I too am so tired of WHY from my three year old.

Megan said...

ewww Aaron.

Michal Thompson said...

It looks like you ran into the same problem as I did. I hated the backgrounds available. So I spent hours fixing mine. Now connnor thinks I am addicted to it. But really, I am done! Looks like Co is treating you good! I am jealous!

Carrie said...

Aaron, maybe that's whats under Syd and Wes' nails, or yours...

Either way, thanks for the chuckle!

Celeste said...

Small world- I ate dinner with your brother and his family a few months ago! How are you?