Wednesday, November 21, 2007

THE Thanksgiving Post

So, I can't let one of my most favorite holidays pass without acknowledging it. I love giving thanks. That's why I love this holiday. But that's not what this post is about. Well, it is, but it isn't. In homage to the Music Man, I offer this witticism to explain myself. Thanksgiving starts with T, and that rhymes with B, and that stands for Becoming. So you see, I got here organically. (just call me cheesy and let's move on, okay?) 'Becoming' seems to be the new 'buzz' word in our church, (maybe it's just in our ward) but Elder Dallin H. Oaks talked about this idea in a conference talk 7 years ago. My post doesn't tie too much into his talk, but the general idea comes from his words.



Last year, I had to give a talk on 'Thanksgiving' Sunday. After reflecting for what seemed like weeks but was actually only days, I decided I didn't want to give the same old talk about how we should be grateful. We know that. And if you're like me, you really are more grateful for your blessings than words can express. I wanted to give my talk on service. When I prepared and gave my talk, I didn't really know how I got from point a to point b, at least not very clearly. I hadn't yet channeled the Music Man. But it's all clear to me now.



I'm a 'so-what' kind of gal. Meaning my thoughts and feelings generally should move me to action, or at least I wish they did. I'm grateful for my blessings. Well, so what? What am I going to do with that? I think it's great to verbally thank our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ. It's not only great, but vital, a commandment even. But I've decided that it's not enough to just say it. I think if I was truly grateful I should be moved to act on those feelings, right? And here's where the Music Man and Elder Oaks references come in. It's great to express gratitude, but can't we, if we really try, become gratitude? If I 'became' gratitude, wouldn't I give up everything to show Him-who has given me everything- that gratitude?



Elder Gordon T. Watts of the Seventy said in October General Conference in 1998 “The depth and the willingness with which we serve is a direct reflection of our gratitude.” So this Thanksgiving weekend, I ask myself this question: How deeply and willingly do I serve? Because we all know “when ye are in the service of your fellow being ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:17)



May we all reflect on our
blessings this holiday weekend
and dedicate our lives to
becoming gratitude in the
way we serve.

4 comments:

shannon j said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! I have a lot of fond Thanksgiving memories with the Banks family. I remember one year we ate dinner with our hands! Too fun.

jeanine said...

oooh very well said!

lori said...

mmmm...good food for thought, Carrie!

Dnnr said...

Wow. I mean this in all sincerity: you should write a book. Very interesting idea.