
"The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree"
by Gloria Houston
Darling story about Christmas in the Appalacian Mountains during World War I.
"I believe in Santa Claus"
by Diane Adamson
This book makes me remember why it's okay to still Believe and why we truly celebrate the Christmas season. And even if you're a 'Santa-hater' you'll appreciate the beautiful artwork.
by Christobel Mattingley
This one is special not only because it's such a touching story, but because of the memories I have of Mom reading it to us with tears in her eyes, evidence of her tenderness and gratitude.
I kinda feel like good old Lavar Burton (I can go anywhere, take a look, its in a book...) ,but when you find something good, you've got to share it! So now I'm dying to know, what's your favorite Christmas story?? What should we pick up next time we're at the library?






11 comments:
I don't remember the name of the Christmas book my parents read us every Christmas....It was the Nativity store, only with a tropical/African theme. I love it, but just can't find it anywhere. Those look like wonderful books you listed, I'll have to check them out!
I'm excited to pick these books up! We're going to do storytime for mutual in a few weeks! Any suggestions?
Hey - great post!! I love Christmas stories. Mine are the short ones, I might share them on my blog.
BTW - I tagged you on my blog if you want to play along! :)
Jeanine- Just don't pick any books that are too long. The girls loved it, one Mom wrote us an email telling us how much fun her girls had! The gifts were fun. My gift was a bag with goodies in it, so then they had a bag to put everything else in. We read 9 or 10 stories, ending with the scriptures, and that was maybe 1 or 2 too many.
Megan, I thought I did your tag, like months ago??? Is this something else?
Yeah... my sister-in-law (she's 14) did this last Christmas and LOVED it. That's a great idea to end with scriptures! I love it!
My favorite is a story that they used to print in the paper every year here in Memphis. It is called "Clarabelle the Christmas Cow". It is all about how a little calf gives up her ability to talk on Christmas Eve so that her owner, a mute little boy, can talk for life. At the end of the story, when the cow is old, Santa turns her into a reindeer for her generosity and selflessness.
Carrie - yah it's a new one....you don't have to do it if you don't want to. :)
Carrie,
One of my favorite R.S. Enrichments was one we had before you moved here. It was a dinner for just the ladies. After dinner we went into one of the rooms at the church. It had been transformed. It was decorated for Christmas. It had a fireplace, Christmas tree, Christmas decorations, and a big chair in the middle of the room with a lamp next to it on a table. All of us sisters sat on the floor on pillows and different sisters took turns sitting the chair reading their favorite Christmas stories. It was magical. We did this with only the illumination of the Christmas lights and the 1 lamp!
A story I heard there that I had to go out and buy for my boys was . . . "Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect!" We love it.
We have a tradition around here. I buy one Christmas book a year to share with our boys. After Christmas these special books are packed with the Christmas decoratios. We only read them once a year. We're starting our collection and it's been fun!
Gabrielle
Carrie,
Its Jaime from byu freshman year. I just started a blog and Jeanine contacted me and I got your blog from her. So fun to get an update on your family. Hope all is well.
(lori)
love all of these recommendations!
Books are my favorite part of the holidays!!
You probably saw "This is the Star" on my blog
We also love First Night (?) a really simple nativity story
and Who Is Coming To Our House (?) about the animals in the stable (especially good for little readers) and I love Jolly Old Santa Clause because the text is really interactive and the illustrations are so old fashioned and FABULOUS!
Another one I read about recently and want to buy is The Friendly Beasts (or something like that!)
(sorry to have questions about he titles and not to give authors! The books are all asleep with Lucy =)
We just happened upon a great Christmas story. "Peter Claus and the naughty list" It is sooo great!!! Especially for 4 year olds who think that there is no hope for them to be on "the good list." Thanks for your recommendations. I always know if it comes from you it's a good one!
Post a Comment