I kinda wonder how Lainey will feel about being a mom and raising a family when she is older. The way the world views motherhood currently isn't a good sign, but I hope that if I remind her often that I chose this and I love them and am HAPPY to stay home with them then she might feel the same someday.
We went to the petting zoo today. Lainey was hilarious, as usual. She saw all the animals in about 2 minutes and then spent the next fifteen going around to see them again and again and again and again. Good times!
Mom: Lainey, what was your favorite animal?
Lainey: Chickens, and sheep, and cows, and birdies, and pigs... we went to the park.
Mom: Lainey, what was your favorite animal?
Lainey: (in a more spirited tone...) I got lots of animals, Mom. We went to the park!

Duh, silly me! Here is Lainey on the train at the park! And I can't show one and not the other, so here is Brady just about falling into the toy box and loosing his pants at the same time!By the way, has anyone read the visiting teaching message for June? We did our VTing at the park. Love, love, love the Elder Scott quote. "You cannot today remotely imagine what that decision to be unwaveringly obedient to the Lord will allow you to accomplish in life. Your quiet, uncompromising determination to live a righteous life will couple you to inspiriation and power beyond your capacity now to understand.... You can qualify through that divine power to be instruments in the hands of God to accomplish what you could not do alone." Whoa. Isn't it great!?
And while we are quoting, here is one for the fridge. I have been dwelling on it for, um, months now. "You do not have to be perfect in this life to be saved! In order to be saved in the Kingdom of God and in order to pass the test of mortality, what you have to do is get on the straight and narrow path. If you're on that path and pressing forward, and you die, you'll never get off the path. There is no such thing as falling off the straight and narrow path in the life to come. This is the time that is given to men to prepare for eternity.
So what must you do? You get on the path that's named the 'straight and narrow.' You do it by entering the gate of repentance and baptism. You stay in teh mainstream of the Church and live as upright and decent people live in the Church- keeping the commandments, paying your tithing, serving in the organizations of the Church, receiving the ordinances you must have, loving the Lord, obeying the commandments, staying on the straight and narrow path.
That's the great hope for Latter-day Saints. There's great hope for anyone who will repent, believe, obey, strive, struggle, and seek to work out his/her salvation. We CAN have peace and joy and happiness in this life, and we can be inheritors of eternal life in the world to come." By Bruce R. McConkie. Maybe I'm the only one worried if I'm doing enough, but this sure made me feel better!




2 comments:
Carrie... I love the quotes! Even more--I love your love for motherhood. Man it's hard sometimes but it's worth it. I'm sure that Lainey will grow up knowing the importance of motherhood because she has such an awesome mom!!!
ditto, ditto to Jeanine!
I had not read the VT message yet (slacker, I know!) but I LOVED that powerful statement...and I have pondered on the Bruce R. quote many times, too.
And yes, it is sad that motherhood is so much less valued now! I hope all of our daughters and sons will grow up respecting and defending defending that role!
THanks for the inspiring thoughts!
Post a Comment