Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Read all about it!

Are you looking for a good book? One with intrigue, deception, romance, and some exceptional violence? I've got one for you. The Old Testament. I just started going to our stake's Adult Education class and we're reading the Old Testament. This year has been the year of discovering the novel-ness of our scriptures for me. Maybe this isn't a new concept for you, but I was amazed as I read through Mosiah earlier this year how the story takes off, off the pages and develops into this tale of escape, survival, plotting, and, of course, good versus evil. And then I started the OT and, boy, the literary escapist in me has NOT been disappointed. A little slow, but not disappointed. There is some serious plotting and scheming, and, one thing I forget until I read Genesis again, love. A great example, Genesis 29:20:

"And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him
but a few days, for the love he had to her."

Collective aahh, right girls? I love the last line in this one, Genesis 24:67:

"And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent....and he loved her:
and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death."


I've really enjoyed filling 'my cup' once a week without distraction. I can be heard at church many Sundays, handing Brady to Tyler while saying, "Take him, I need my cup filled!" and walking into Sunday School. (Brady only has 6 or 7 weeks till Nursery, yeah!!!) The 1st counselor in the bishopric heard me once and laughed. I've always wondered why. I once had a sister ask me if I really did enjoy Relief Society lessons and I was shocked. My immediate reply was, "Yes, I really do. I almost always get something out of it or at least feel the spirit." Now, in our ward we have the best teachers I've ever had in Relief Society, but she wanted to know how I could actually enjoy RS. I told her I go prepared when I can (read the lesson material) and I go needing to feel the spirit. I'm not more righteous than anyone, if anything I'm playing catch up on time wasted not being gospel oriented, but I love going to church, usually.
What about you?

How do you get the most out of Sunday lessons?

And what do you do to fill 'your cup' when church with kids is too difficult?
(And how excited are we for the RS Broadcast on Saturday??)




6 comments:

lori said...

Darling friend, thanks for this post. I really needed to read this today. I love the scriptures - but sometimes it's easy to forget that! And I'm SO with you in loving RS! Nothing makes you appreciate RS so much as a primary calling! I can't wait for the broadcast this weekend. So needed. And I think you hit it on the head: the key to having a good experience in a meeting or lesson is recognizing your personal NEED to feel the spirit - to go expecting to be filled.
And dah! until I got my primary calling, I had been so faithful in reading my Spencer W. Kimball lessons! I've slacked off lately but I really need to catch up. I was LOVING them!
Thanks for the motivation, Carrie! You are an inspiration - even from miles away!!

jeanine said...

Oh Carrie this is just what I needed. I have been reading the Old Testament and recently have been a slacker at my scripture reading. The Old Testament has the BEST stories in it! (And so many about women!)
And about RS... I used to HATE it. But now I love it. And like Lori, until I was called out of RS I was doing good at keeping up at my reading--must start that again.
You are awesome. I've been dying to read another post from you--and this one was a gem. Thanks!

jeanine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

I agree Carrie, this post was wonderful. Thanks for the reminder that the scriptures and talks/lessons at church aren't just meant to be tasted, they're meant to be devoured, ingested, and digested. With my busy life I quickly forget the peace I experience when I fully envelope myself in His words. I, too have realized how exciting the scriptures can be when I try to follow the story and read regularly.
And I so miss RS!! I agree with Lori...nothing makes you appreciate it so much as being taken from it! However I have really learned a lot in Primary. Because I sit up front, I'm able to watch the childrens' faces as they listen; to see their reactions. I love the questions they ask and the answers they give. I guess you can be taught by the Spirit no matter where you are, as long as you are listening.

Carrie said...

Megan, I've been so surprised at how much I get out of YW lessons. Every week. It helps me not miss RS too much, but good for you for making the most of it, its hard to do.

And thanks for all the compliments on my random thoughts!

Megan said...

I miss RS too. It's been a long time - I was in primary music in our last ward and now I teach. I love RS....I feel like I NEED it sometimes too.