Monday, September 28, 2009

You thought I was going to be posting regularly again, didn't you???

I haven't been blogging because I've been cooking. Well, cooking and other stuff, but I really just want to tell you about the cooking. Losing all that weight made me search for ways to be busy and one way for me to be busy (and to tell my mind that food was coming) was to cook really yummy food. It's become my latest hobby and I don't anticipate getting bored with this one. Someday I might start a recipe blog, but first I need a new camera, some more time, and some motivation to actually do it. If I can't keep this thing updated, how on earth would I keep another blog up to date??

But back to my point. Want to share some yummy recipes.

My fridge is stuffed to the gills with leftovers. Currently residing in my clear plastic Tupperware is this soup. This is like a better version of comfort food. So good.

Also, we've got some of this girl's Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad. I've been trying many different versions of black bean and corn salads. This is by far the best one. My search ended the first time I tried this one! Great on the side of a yummy burger.

This is a new favorite stir fry, and I happen to find a decent deal on pineapple this week, which was random, so we stir fried it up!
Sweet and Sour Pork and Pineapple Stir Fry (from Pampered Chef)
1 lb pork tenderloin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbl plus 1 tsp cornstarch, divided
2 c. (7 oz) sugar snap peas
1 medium pineapple
1 bell pepper (I added this, can't have stir fry without peppers!)
3 tbl soy sauce
2 tbl rice vinegar
1/3 c apricot preserves
1 tbl veg oil
1 medium red onion cut into 1/2 thick chunks (optional)
3 c cooked rice

1. Cut the pork tenderloin into 1/2 in to 1 in. chunks. Mix with 2 tbl cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
2. Mix the soy sauce, remaining cornstarch, and vinegar. Add the apricot preserves and set this bowl aside as well.
3. Cut the ends of the snap peas and slice them in half, slice the pineapple into chunks, cut the onion.
4. Heat the oil in the pan till it's hot. Add the pork and cooked undisturbed for 4-6 minutes (I had to stir mine sooner). Turn over chunks and cook another minute or two. Add the onion and cook for one minute more.
5. Add veggies and sauce. Cook until sauce thickens, which should only take a couple of minutes. Serve over rice!

We also have loved this soup for years. Once the weather turned cooler, this is the first soup I cooked up.
Black Bean Soup from Tosha Stapelman
1 tbl olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 carrot shredded
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp chopped jalapenos, divided
2 15 oz cans black beans, undrained
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (love to use petite), undrained
1 1/2 c low salt chicken broth
fresh chopped cilantro
fresh chopped grn onions
feta cheese

Heat oil in lg pot. Add onion, carrot and garlic. Saute till soften. Mix in cumin and 1 tsp of jalapeno. Add beans, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15- 30 minutes. The original recipe said to puree 1/2 the soup in a blender, but why dirty the dishes? I love a chunky soup. Garnish each bowl with cilantro, green onion, feta cheese, and remaining jalapeno. Great with cornbread.

Made this pasta. Good gravy, was it delicious! Best use of pesto in a main dish (besides on a panini) I've ever tried. Also made it with their bread sticks, too. Yummy!

I'm thinking we're going to have to do leftovers for a couple of nights, just to get all this eaten! But I'd love to hear about your refrigerators.

What leftovers are sitting in your fridge that you can't wait to devour?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

um can i come to your house. my fridge is empty?

Katie staten said...

I roasted a chicken yesterday, and it will become homemade chicken noodle soup tomorrow.
The recipes look good. I will have to give some a try.

Shannon B said...

YAY! More recipes for me to cook up!!!! So, in my fridge there is YOUR Caribbean Chicken Salad that I made yesterday. Can't wait to polish that off!!!

Michal Thompson said...

Thank you thank you. Can you please start a recipe blog, or combine them?

Ryan and Andrea said...

Right now my fridge is pretty empty. I am on a cleanse/detox thing for 9 days & can't eat much! Who cares about the rest of the family!! I have lost 6.5 lbs. in 4 days-it's all about me right now!!