Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Sound of Silence

I never thought this moment would come. Actually, I knew it would come, I just really never anticipated having it yet.

My house is empty. Well, except for me. Lainey's at school and Brady is at a playdate. I can hear the clock ticking, literally.

I'm lost without them.

I've never been the kind of mom who seeks after alone time, never needed to hide in a closet. Oh, I've had my moments of frustration, for sure. And I've declared loudly that I needed girl time, but usually it was because I wanted to go have a little fun more than it was because I was sick to death of my children.

I decided to use my two free hours perusing Fred Meyer. It's the only place to 'shop' in town and Lainey needed some leggings. I've never really complained about taking my kids shopping with me. It's no sunny day beachside in the Bahamas, but it's also not being strapped to the dentist's chair while a drill hums expectantly in the background. While in Freddie's, I meandered. Yes, that is a complete sentence. And just ponder on that for a moment. I am a mother, I am busy taking care of my family, and today, I meandered. It was a beautiful thing. Unfortunately, there is only so much to peruse at Fred Meyer, so I came home to my empty house.

On my way home, I thought about these lonely hours I now need to fill. You wanna know why this seems so odd? Because it wasn't really my plan. When I had my first baby, I thought I would just keep on having babies until I was done. My house would just circle through all stages of babyhood and toddlerhood and youth until I was 'done'. But what we expect to happen isn't always what actually happens. And for some reason, that has been a hard truth for me to learn. Things always work out 'how they should' in the end, but having faith that 'how they should' is really how things should go when 'how they should' isn't what your 'how they should' was when you started this whole thing is hard to accept. At least for me. But maybe I'm the only one that struggles with that. And maybe I'm the only one that understood that particular sentence. Either way, it's cathartic to write it down.

I get to go pick up Brady now. Then we pick up Lainey. 2 hours really isn't that long, but I think I'm going to need some good ideas of things I can do to fill this time. I could read my current book (Catching Fire, second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. Pretty darn good.) but I can do that later. Any ideas, ladies? I'd love to go to a movie by myself, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any showings at 9 a.m. What I really need is a Target to get lost in...

11 comments:

jeanine said...

I'm with you... I've never been excited to have my children be off so that I could be on my own. Maybe it's the fact that my boys play well on their own so I can have "alone" time when I want... but it IS always a treat to go to Target and wander around at my own pace.
Oh.... and how do you like Catching Fire?! I loved it... I'm dying for the next one to come out already!

Michal Thompson said...

You are amazing in a baffling way. You have now officially made me feel bad that I have ever desired alone time and not wanted to take my kids shopping!!! My to do list is longer than I can even get to, I wish I could say I know how you feel! There is always a craft, a missionary email, a lesson to plan or a dinner to make. I envy that you have time for books. I don't dare pick any out in fear that I will neglect my children because of it. Please share your wisdome of how you do it!

Steven said...

Oh, I hear you...I'm sitting here with 2 kids at a play date and one sleeping. aaahhhh, the quiet. Its funny how many things you can think to do while in the midst of business, but when it all clears out there doesn't seem much to do. (that was too long a sentence) Anyhow, when all the kids are gone I imagine it will be far too quiet. Miss you!

Megan said...

Carrie....Thanks you. You are such a good Mom. I'm sorry that you are having a hard time enjoying time to yourself! I remember missing Porter desperately when he went to preschool and then to Kindergarten. However, it didn't take me long to adjust to one less child. I have a few recommendations of things I would do:

*Pedicure
*Nap
*Haircut
*Household projects that are hard to do with helping hands (like painting, etc)
*Nap (oh wait, did I already say that?)
*Clean house
*Go have lunch with a girlfriend (or breakfast or whatever time of the day it is. Do women really need an excuse to eat?)
*Workout
*Library

Sorry, I'll stop now. My list goes on and on. Of course, I do have time while Katie is at preschool and Carson is napping, but it seems like there's always SOMETHING to do.

I am one of those Moms that prefers to run errands w/out kids, however I do "get" the whole quiet house thing.

I hope you learn to enjoy this precious time to yourself!

Unknown said...

I love alone time:) I would recommend crafts!! I love to craft in my spare time (which is very rare). Making Sammy clothes is the best, or baby shoes for a baby shower, or a home decor project. There are so many great ideas out there in the blogging world for fun crafts. If you don't think you can sew, you have to give it a try. I bet you could whip out a pretty cute skirt for Lainy in no time:)

Okay, I know Sewing is not for everyone, but it can be really fun:) So you like to read, have you ever considered WRITING a book? That could be fun:)

shannon j said...

I don't think you are alone in your struggles to accept how things end up. I know the economy has changed our life plan and we are trying to figure out what our new plan is. However like you, I know it all eventually works out how it should, it's just hard to see that in the present.

For your extra time dilemma.. does the Central institute have daily classes? I know our institute has lots of morning classes and non-students are always welcome to attend.

Laurie said...

I'm with Shannon, take some classes!

Aaron said...

you should get an xbox, you can spend hours on those things and you won't even know where the time is going, just trying to help

Ryan and Andrea said...

You are hilarious! I am just the opposite & get tons done during my 2 hours 2x week! I wish you were here-they opened the "new" Target & we could go peruse together!! Or do lunch-that would be fun.

Miss you tons! Glad you have some alone time-use it well.

Anonymous said...

Carrie ... you and I are so much a like. Except for on this ...

I always have a to do list ... that goes on for miles and miles. You are constantly telling me you have free time. :-)

Alas, I'd be basking in the freetime. :-) Maybe refinish a piece of furniture ... that's on my to do list.

Luckily you're not here or I'd be putting you to work!
Love Ya,
Gabrielle

Camey said...

I love catching fire! I can't wait until the 3rd one comes out! You are amazing. You probably could have like 8 kids and still not need alone time! You can still have that family though!