Happy love day, friends.
To spread the love in our abode, Lainey and I decided to make these from Miss Martha.
Looks simple enough, right? She doesn't even number the instructions because it's sssooo basic. Who hasn't melted crayon shavings with an iron? And we've all got a bag full of crayons too small to save but can't bear throw away because that would just be plain wasteful. Perfect solution for Valentine colored nubbins right here, not to mention the fact that we have all supplies for this project on hand.
Lainey loves projects and LOVES holidays, gets it from her dad. So we tucked Brady in for his nap this afternoon and got to work. Well, actually, I got to work. Lainey watched.
Have you ever tried to sharpen crayons in a pencil sharpener? The wax builds up around the sides. And continues to build up. Until you can't make shavings any more. But before you can't make shavings, the crayon gets really hard to turn. Lainey's little hands just couldn't get that crayon to twist.
Plus we must have some really cheap crayons because they kept breaking. And they were already nubbins, so once they broke we couldn't shave them any more. It takes a TON of crayons to get a decent amount of shavings too. Like maybe 3 whole crayons. And did I mention we were working with nubbins?
And you know, Martha never mentions the static factor. Half the shavings are sticking to our hands because there is so much electricity running through our hot bods. Then, once or twice, you try to blow it off and back into the shavings bowl, but wait, that just blows it all right in your face. Yum . . . wax. In my mouth, on my floor. Everywhere.
So like an hour and a half later, we're hoping we got enough shavings. To the ironing board we go. Even had a paper sack on hand to protect my iron. Oh wait... the color seeps through brown grocery sacks. Remind me to clean that up before Tyler irons a nice white shirt.
Needless to say, the whole thing took the whole afternoon. And by the time I ironed all the wax paper, Lainey was more than done watching me do our project which actually was a good thing because after all the time I spent on this stinkin craft there wasn't any way on earth I was going to let her 5 year old scissor cutting skills near my hard work.
So I cut them into hearts, put them on a string and taped 'em in a window.



Martha's look way better.
Dang that Martha.
Next up, Bakerella's cake pops for my church class kids.
I must be a glutton for punishment.
I'll let you know how it goes.




7 comments:
Oh Carrie I love the commentary on this project... I've had many go that way! I had thought of doing this same project... but maybe I'll hold of on it for this year :)
Huh, to the untrained eye (i.e. mine) they look great!! Forget Martha, this is Carrie Miller Living.
ha ha! I so relate to this!!! I think they DID turn out cute, though! We're mking cake pops too! On Friday. But I'm going with Pioneer Woman's messier/more down-to-my-level option =) (and I'm still afraid the afternoon will go a lot like your wax hearts!!) Anyway - good luck with round two! We'll have to compare notes!
WAAAY cute! Too bad it had to be so hard but it turned out great! See you tonight! YEAH BABY!
They are so cute. I love them. Where do you get all your ideas. Camilla loves projects and I love holidays, but I am not as creative.
I don't like Martha either. I swear she gets a body double to do all that stuff 'cause it can't be THAT easy!! Anyway, what's up w/Brady's pink pants? I so need to send you more clothes! I love hand-me-downs, but pink on a boy? C'mon! Poor kid!
I think yours turned out great! But it is harder to appreciate them when they wasted your day! Did Martha ever have kids anyway???
Post a Comment