Monday, February 23, 2009

The love goes on and on...

We just can't lose that St. Valentine feeling here in the 'Burg although the holiday has come and gone. We are loving so much lately that I wanted to share some of our favorite new loves with you.
  • The Magic Jack. Have you heard of it? We get our phone service for $40 a year. Yes, a year, not a month. Magic Jack is a VOIP. We have had Vonage for years and have only been partly satisfied with our service. Magic Jack's service is better than Vonage and loads cheaper. The only downside that we can see so far is that we have to leave the computer on to get phone service, but if we're being honest here, the computer is never off at our house, so it's not a real huge issue. Gosh, I wish Magic Jack was paying me for the glowing endorsement of their product...
  • Those of you not familiar with my faith won't get this next love at all. I'm sorry. Email me, I'll explain as best I can. But for all the rest of you, which may in fact be all of you, I have one word for you. Carinessa. Holy cow. And I mean holy. The church has decided to embrace a little spandex. It's a beautiful thing. Revolutionary.
  • The ghost that has been haunting our house. He sure looks a lot like Brady, and Brady does all his sound effects, so it's not hard to see why we love him so much. I don't know where Brady got on his 'ghost' kick, but it's so stinkin' cute! He walks around the house "Woo"ing followed by a surprised, "What's that, Mommy?" waiting for us to declare our fright at our friendly ghost.
  • Ground turkey. We've been eating it pretty much all the time if we don't go meatless or have chicken. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had ground beef in the last few months. It has 80 fewer calories in a 4 oz serving than ground beef and only 1 gram less protein. It also has 11 grams fewer fat grams per serving. Maybe the taste is acquired, maybe you won't be able to tell a difference. We don't mind the difference and love the healthfulness of it. We definitely watch for sales and have bought most of it at 2.50 a lb or less. If you can find a good deal on 93% extra lean ground beef, its only 10 calories more a serving than the turkey, but I have a hard time finding that lean of beef on sale for 2.50 or less.
  • I know I've mentioned it before, but I am still very much in love with the Ann Taylor Loft. Gosh, those people know how to make clothes for women's bodies, or at least this woman's body. I just got this top in a pretty gray and this one in a rich navy and they are so cute! Tyler especially loves the navy one. A lot.
  • Cooking blogs. I've printed a kajillion (yes, I really have printed that many, a kajillion...) recipes from blogs and sites I've been perusing. Some of my favorites? Allrecipes.com has a healthy cooking tab and they quite often will list the calorie count of a recipe. Myrecipes.com has all the Cooking Light recipes, so I love that one, too. Love Bakerella, of course. Who doesn't? I mostly just look, but there are few things I'm planning to splurge on. We just tried the Pioneer Woman's Cauliflower soup a couple weeks ago. To. Die. For. We used a bit less butter and evaporated skim milk instead of half n half. And we even forgot the sour cream! Still yummy! Also love Hold the Onions. Real women. Real families. Real food. Yum. A few more good ones I've found: For the Love of Cooking, Becoming Betty, Prudence Pennywise, Smitten Kitchen (although her blog intimidates me A LOT), and oh, I could just go on and on. Ask Tyler. If I've been on a computer, I've been searching for recipes. I don't think my requirements for recipes are too crazy, but I need food that's healthy, that's cheap, and I'd like it to be relatively simple, although I find myself spending more and more time in the kitchen preparing dinner. I'll be sure to share any great new recipes I find!
  • The Crafty Crow. I can't tell you what a great idea resource it is. Not only do I have a stack of new recipies, but I've got a list a mile long of things for me and the kids to do on a rainy day (once I can get my hands on some supplies...no craft store in the 'Burg).

We love being in love and would love to hear about any new loves you have! (that means share, people!)

9 comments:

Megan said...

I love Becoming Betty and Hold the Onions too! I was just going to post about Hold the Onions and another new cooking blog I found recently. I love the tried and true recipes that they all post. It's great.

I've been scared to try ground turkey, do you use the same recipes, like spaghetti and just use ground turkey instead?

I like Ann Taylor too - I have a few favorite shirts from there, I used to go to an outlet store in Auburn all the time, don't know if it's still there.

My loves right now? I'll have to think about that one. But I loved reading about yours!

Steven said...

Yes, I completely agree, Carinessa is revolutionary!! So nice not to be tugging anymore.

Becca said...

Thanks for all the love Carrie. We have been eating ground turkey all the time now too. Infact, that is pretty much all I buy. I would love you to pass me on all the wonderful recipes you find. I have been trying to find some, but my time is being eaten up. So find a good one, e-mail me. I would love it. I have also enjoyed all your craft stuff. It has got me trying to do more with my kids. Once I get my house under control it will be craft time all the time:) Thanks again for all the great ideas. I am ALWAYS in search for great recipes and great ideas for kids so if you find ones you LOVE or even just like...send them my way:)

Ashley said...

I love cooking blogs too! Sometimes I search for new recipes for a really long time. And I have got to try Carinessa, I've heard it's the best. I love those shirts you got!

Anonymous said...

Hum . . . I'll have to check into Carinessa!

Speaking of ghosts, we had a FHE on the Holy Ghost a few weeks ago. We asked the kids if they knew who he was. Chase said yes he say "Whoo, whoo!" We had to explain that the HG isn't a scary ghost!

Gabrielle

Camey said...

Carrie this is Camey White from Lake Stevens. I just saw you on KL blog! I have a blog too- obviously. I loved just catching up a little on yours. You are so good to keep up. I want to check out those recipes because I need some good ones and those cookies look so yummy! I am so impressed. I need your e-mail so I can invite you, but I am adding you to my blog. I was SO super excited to find you. I also have never been to Ann Taylor, but want to now and I have had Vonage too so I am going to have to look into that. Do you live in Washington then? Oh and carinessa all the way!

Carrie said...

Megan- I just use ground turkey in anything I would've used ground beef in... meatloaf, spaghetti, taco salad... etc.

Becca- just check out the sites I listed for great recipes and ideas!!! That's why I shared them!!!

Cami, email me from my profile, I'd love to read your blog! So great to hear from you!

Katie The Lady said...

How did I not comment on this earlier, I swear I did a few days ago...anyways,

I need to find out more about that phone company! I bet they don't have service here in Idaho-hahaha!

Do you want to know what I love? I love date nights. I only get one a year because we only trust a few select people to babysit, but I can never arrange a good time to go out alone with Michael. I need more date nights!!!! I love them!

I also love All recipes too. I find most of my "experimental" recipes there...and love them!

Ryan and Andrea said...

I have know idea what carinessa or whatever is & I AM part of your faith!! Apparently I don't buy them often enough!!

Anyway, I love Ann Taylor-have I ever told you the "boots" story?

Thanks for the info on Magic Jack (that you were supposed to email me!) I think I am going to get that.