Thursday, October 30, 2008

The truth comes out.

I have a secret.

Has anyone noticed I haven't been blogging much since summer started? No?? How could you not notice? Oh, that's right. The world doesn't revolve around me. Duh. Well there is a very good reason for my lack of interesting blog posts. I've been keeping busy and haven't been sharing.

No, I'm not expecting. Let's just get that out there right now. But I've been doing something else pretty incredible.

I've lost 55 pounds. And counting.

All that leading up work just to tell you that. I know. So melodramatic. But it feels pretty huge to me. I bet you're wondering why I haven't told you. Well, frankly, its embarrassing to have that much weight to lose, number one. And I'm not even done yet. I have MORE weight to lose. Even more embarrassing. Some of the people who read this blog haven't seen me in years and remember me as fairly thin. I didn't want to shatter any one's illusions of me. Number two, I'm well known for starting something, then quitting if it gets to be too hard for me. You want a list? I could give you one. Let's see: I dropped out of college, I have a box of crafts I've started and haven't finished, I have a whole quilt I've started and never finished, I started piano lessons last year but don't play anymore because I don't have a teacher as flexible as my last one.... and the list could go on. Just ask Tyler. I'm the queen of quitting. I didn't want to announce a goal and then fail. Failing doesn't feel good when you're the only one who knows about it, much less a bunch of your friends and family.

So now you're wondering why this means I have less to blog about. Frankly, dieting and exercising are about all I think about besides feeding my children occasionally. So if I don't want you to know I've got this huge goal, I can't really talk about what's on in my mind can I? Because diet and exercise are (almost) all I think about.

So yay for me. I've never worked so hard for anything in my life. And just because I know someone will ask how I'm doing it, I'll tell you. Sweat. Determination. And a whole lot of portion control. I work out A LOT. My friend, Gabrielle, has been my biggest motivator and inspiration. When we moved to Colorado in 2006, 2 other friends left our little community, too. And Gabrielle found herself a little lonely so she decided to fill her time working out and lost 75 lbs (which happens to be my final goal, too... give or take a few pounds). When we moved to the Burg and I found myself friendless, without a calling, and with a lot of free time, I decided to follow her lead. I didn't do a special diet. I provide meals for 3 other people. Its just not feasible to change our lifestyle that much. Plus I wanted to eat in a way that would be easy to maintain. So I eat more fruits, veggies, and whole grains (well, actually, just less grains altogether, but whole ones when I do) and I don't eat refined sugar (usually). And it's working! No programs, no systems, no nothing. I just make sure I expend more calories in a day than I take in.

And your next question is: can we see a picture? And the answer is not yet! I've got 20 more pounds to lose, then I'll shock you all with a picture of me!

Now if anyone is feeling particularly generous and would like to donate to the "Carrie has absolutely nothing to wear that fits her (even her pants fall off, literally.)" fund, we would greatly appreciate it, as a whole new wardrobe doesn't come cheap.

19 comments:

Megan said...

Wow Carrie. Good for you. I wish I wish I wish I had time to go the gym or even have a regular workout schedule! There's several close by, but I can't fit it in often enough to justify joining. My time is not my own right now. But I'm so happy for YOU! That's wonderful! I know it's not easy and takes a lot of work and determination. I'm so glad you saw results and stuck to it. Yay for you!!!

Steven said...

Wahoo!! Can't wait to see that picture. please sneak me one via email...come on. Gabrielle has been giving me teasers and I am just so happy for you. Not that weight is really that big of an issue, but I do know that when you loose it is darn exciting! We are all busy but you decided to make the sacrifice to make it work. Now I have to catch up to you and Gabrielle!

Katie staten said...

Way to go Carrie! That is great success. We really need to have a reunion to see all our great success stories. I dropped a bunch of weight when we got Olivia.
Of course I didn't exactly do it the healthy way, I was under so much stress with her when she was little and the whole adoption saga. (Boy that is a story and a half). But I have continued to exercise and have lost a little more, but better yet, I have been maintaining.
You keep on going! Tell Gabrielle Hi from me, I don't have her email and she needs to start a blog. I don't think she knows my blog.

jeanine said...

Carrie that is AMAZING!!! I can't wait to see a picture! And way to go doing it the "old fashioned way"

Jaime said...

You go girl!!

Nycole said...

Carrie, you are awesome! I am bummed that there is no picture, I am sure you look great!

Michal Thompson said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you. Loosing weight takes a lot of work in all areas of life. Way to stick to your goal- I have plenty of things I have quite too- like a no sugar diet, can't do it. So now you are my inspiration!!

Michal Thompson said...

oh and what have you been doing to exercise, what have you found you like??

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Carrie!

I've been wondering how you've been doing since I haven't had an update lately. :-) I'm so proud of you. I know how hard it is ... you've been so determined though.

Guess what? Your blog came at the right time for me. My baby is 2 1/2 weeks now and my goal was to get back on board when he hit 3 weeks ... time to lose again. I'll be hitting the exercise again when the baby is 4-6 weeks depending on how my body is doing (recovery wise). I needed some re-motivation!! :-) We'll just have to keep inspiring each other. (Tammy by the way, is looking great too. Don't let her fool you!)

Your goal is finally in SIGHT, yeah!! I've actually got more to take off then you do now 25-30 lbs.

As for the clothes, I remember thinking this losing weight can be expensive. Especially when I had to buy "in between clothes". Matter of fact, right now I'm experiencing a clothes shortage too. Everything I was wearing at this size when I was losing is summer stuff. Next time you are in Seattle you may have to hit a few 2nd hand stores . . . but have Tyler buy you atleast a few new things (even though they won't fit long) cause you deserve it and it will make you FEEL good . . . which keeps you motivated.

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU .... YOU ARE SO DETERMINED! I ALSO CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR PICTURE POST!

Gabrielle

P.S. Last Jan came and everyone was setting New Year Resolutions to lose weight. It was sooo good knowing I already had a plan in place and was almost there. You'll be in the same place I was . . . if you haven't already hit your GOAL by then . . . and it will feel GREAT!

Amanda said...

Wow! That is an amazing accomplishment! I wish I had your motivation! Congratulations and Good Luck with your next 20 pounds!

Jon and Kari-Lynn Tarleton said...

Wow, I'm so impressed. I would love to lose 50 pounds. After 2 kids and life it seems like the pounds are easy to keep coming. I'm very proud of you and hope I can follow your lead. Congrats with your new BOD!!!!

shannon j said...

That's awesome Carrie. It is so hard to commit to eating healthy for me, and I love to read success stories!

Shannon B said...

Hottie with a body!!!

shannon j said...

I just wanted to add to my earlier comment that I don’t think you are the queen of quitting. Everyone has projects that they start and don’t finish, and it’s not that uncommon to quit college.

Dunbabin said...

Congrats! That takes a lot of determination and hard work!

Katie The Lady said...

Carrie, that is amazing!!! Congratulations on the weight loss, and I hope you are able to easily reach your goal now that you've made it this far!!! That is awesome! I think you should win some kind of award!!!! Seriously, Congratulations! If I was working so hard on something, I probably wouldn't think of anything else either.

I remember 2 summers ago, I worked out hard everyday and lost 20 lbs. I felt like a whole new person, so happy and...it just felt wonderful. I can understand your not wanting to share because I too, am a queen of quitting-hahaha! Keep up the great work, and know that now you have shared, we are all rooting for you!!!!

Megan said...

CARRIE!!!! I am SO impressed and SOOO proud of you! That is seriously hard to do! I think the "old fashioned way" is the hardest - but also the most rewarding, the smartest, and the best way to keep it off. I started working out at a gym a few months ago and I'm amazed at how much of my time it takes!! But also, I love how much energy I have, how much better I sleep, and how much more motivated I am in other aspects of my life(like - say - laundry!). Carrie - you are such a strong woman and I am so happy for you! Keep it up...and I can't wait to see pics!

Karen said...

Congrats Carrie! I wish I had that much determination. I can't wait to see the picture! Woo-Hoo!

Ashley said...

Wow, congrats!!! Way to go!