Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tradition! Tradition! (think Tevyah from Fiddler on the Roof)

Have you ever avoided something because it just seemed too monumental? Too large of a task to complete? Too big a hill to climb?

This is what blogging about life is feeling like for me because we've done SO many fun things this month and I've fallen behind and don't feel like I can catch up. With 690 pictures in my August 2008 folder, it isn't a wonder we've lacked time to blog. So, here is my lame, disjointed attempt at catching up. Enjoy.


We've been enjoying the winding down of our summer with traditions old and new, family old and new (just one new little guy), and friends old and new. I've been thinking about my childhood and have watched my kids treasure moments that seem straight from pages in my own memory. I've hoped that these memories and others like them will follow given council and "make it easier for our children to follow the living prophets" though at the moment they seem like just great family fun. And as our traditions revolve around fun for now, I hope our traditions will also be "steady and unchanging in doing that which is good [so] our traditions become firmly rooted in righteousness" Traditions teach us what is important. We've started and continued various traditions this month...


....traditions of special Daddy and daughter moments, like Saturday afternoon dates

that start with a short nap on the way,

and end with smiles all around.
(WALL-E. They both loved it!)

And traditions of close cousins and hours of time spent together.

(Brady, Wesley, Sydnie, Lainey, and Lucy)

(Syd and Lainey)


Traditions of love...
(Lucy and Betsy)

And simple, wholesome fun.

(Brady blowing bubbles at the pool.)

Aunt Betsy and the Nightgown girls rockin out to the Mamma Mia soundtrack. Have you seen it? Mamma Mia? Well, you should! So fun!

(bowling with cousins and kids. I think the kids outscored the moms...)

And traditions of nature and of childhood pleasures.

(Thanks Laurie, for these great shots of Jetty Island- one of my most favorite places in the world.)

Traditions of exploration

(digging for clams)

(collecting seashells)

And friendship.

Traditions of treasure hunting.

(crab leg and Wes)

(note the kelp and bird feathers found on a nature walk)

And new traditions of 'send me on a mission' hair cuts.

before

after... my baby is growing up!

Traditions of work and self reliance.


And traditions of family time.

Waiting for the parade to pass us by!

checking out the horses at the county fair

cow barn with Mom and Brady


And traditions of celebration.

my cowboy and me

Tyler and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary last week and went on a date... to the rodeo. Not the most romantic venue but oh so fun!
As we hit this 7 year mark, it feels like an accomplishment, bigger than the last few anniversaries. This partnership is a tradition of sorts. It's a tradition of dedication, of love, of sacrifice and compromise. Its a tradition of laughter and joy and of hard work. Its a tradition of family and eternity and of learning. Cliches are cliches for a reason, and I'm going to use a few now. I couldn't have imagined on my wedding day how much more I would love my husband today than I did on that day. And as the years have passed, I haven't been surprised at this greater love. But what I will say is a little surprising is that not only do I love him more, but I am more in love with him that I was that day.

As we teach our children traditions, I hope they remember that this tradition of love and commitment is important and sacred. And I hope they see that in our relationship. I hope that all these traditions build a foundation for their lives that, as Sister Lant said, 'roots them in righteousness' because there is no place better to be rooted.


It's been a good month. Busy, but good.

12 comments:

Megan said...

Great post. I love traditions!

Megan said...

By the way, we just did our Quarterly Enrichment Dinner around this talk. It was so great - I got so many ideas for "righteous" traditions:

-Building up a years supply and giving each child "their" year when they get married. Love that!

-Of course FHE and nightly scripture study and prayer

-First day of school traditions (we are just starting these)

-She had a book with a pic of her grandparents and her parents with their testimonies in it, so she could write in it and pass one down to each of her kids.

-Family Sunday dinners - her husband bought her a huge dining room table so all their kids could "come home" for Sunday dinner.

-We do 3 gifts at Christmas, like the 3 gifts Baby Jesus got from the wisemen.

There were tons more - and then we all shared our own family's righteous traditions.

Nycole said...

It looks like you guys have had so much fun. I can't believe how grown up your kids are getting, they are so cute! And 7 years, oh my goodness! I remember your wedding reception :)

Anonymous said...

Love your post. I'm glad you had such a great August. Great pictures.

Gabrielle

shannon j said...

I love the tradition of spending lots of fun time with cousins!! I have so many awesome memories with my Banks cousins!

Ashley said...

Wow, so many great pictures! It looks like you guys have truly had a wonderful summer and I love that you're continuing so many traditions on for your own kids. You are an awesome mom!!

jeanine said...

I"ve been missing you... so glad to see a post. And extra glad to see all the fun traditions you guys have been up to. LOVE IT!
And Happy Anniversary. WOW. Seven years really? It just seems like yesterday that we drove up to your reception in Boise (and stayed at Blake Rule's house... oh the memories!)

Katie L said...

I totally understand your not wanting to catch up on blogging...I hate Falling behind, and hate having to write about old stories when the excitement is over. I have to practically force myself to blog daily for the grandparents, otherwise I just am not in the mood to sit at the computer for hours (digging through pictures to upload and such).

It looks like you guys had a fun month! Movies, the fair, trips to the Ocean-LUCKY! Don't you just love creating new family traditions!!!

Michal Thompson said...

way to go, that was great. Can I have some of those canned goods- I so miss it.

Shannon B said...

Wow you busy people!!! I am soooo glad we could be involved in those traditions! And CARRIE.....you look FABULOUS! Even more so since the last time I saw you. You hot girl!!!!! :0) I am glad you got to celebrate your anniversary. I still think I should have baby sat for ya! How many peaches did you get? I think I get mine next week.

lori said...

Love this post! Happy anniversary! (love the wedding memories too, Jeanine!)
Your little family is as beautiful as they come! Hope all these happy traditions continue (and wish I was there to help you eat the peaches =)

Laurie said...

a) You look fantastic b) nice jacket ;) c) Thanks for posting my pictures, i'd like to brag to some people about 'em lol d) BRADY LOOKS SO OLD!! Crazy! But SO adorable. You're safe now that he looks like a stud with short or long hair. e) anyway I could get a hold of the rest of those pictures? I know I took a billion, but I'd like to sift through them myself too.