Friday, September 26, 2008

Generally Specific

I just finished making your fav lunch, Lainey and Brady. Mac n cheese. Okay, maybe it's not your favorite, but you both love it and eat tons of it, so that's close enough to favorite in my book. As I hollered upstairs for the 5th time for you guys to come down and eat, I stirred those little noodles into orange oblivion and thought about how many lunches I've made for my little brood. This year marks my fifth year as a mother... your mother. An overwhelming thought, really. So long, yet so short. I wondered as the cheese dissolved how many more boxes of processed, cheesy, noodle-ness I'd make. My blue boxes aren't quite numbered yet, since we have plans to eventually give you two some more siblings, but the days with you two are. You're getting older. My baby isn't a baby any more! It's taken a new nephew to really see how big you are, Brady! And Lainey, this is your last year at home with me before kindergarten. Don't tell anyone, but I'm pretty certain this is why I didn't push too hard to get you into a preschool. I'm going to miss you next year!!!



Anyway, back to the lunch you've now devoured. As I stirred and listened to feet clomping down the stairs (finally), a question popped into my head.



Is this everything you thought it would be, Carrie?



I think it came from a place of frustration at the growing pile of dishes, the crayons scattered (again) on the dining room floor, or just the plain repitition of herding you two (shouting up the stairs) without having to physically herd you down for lunch.



I paused.



I looked at the pan and the mac n cheese that I've made countless times, thought of the monotony of stay-at-home mommying.



And I gave the question a serious moment of reflection. Is this everything I thought it would be? Specifically? No. No way. But generally? It's so much better than anything I could've thought motherhood could be.



Specifically, I didn't think of the countless sippy cups I would fill. I didn't think of the number of words I would utter that would be totally disregarded. I didn't think of the teeth brushing, the laundry, the diapers, the laundry, the meal preparation, the tantrums, the laundry. I just thought of that tiny little one belonging with me and Tyler. Specifically, I knew of the late nights and nursing, but I didn't realize that those things are short lived and not as important as other specifics. I didn't think of the teaching involved with motherhood. The teaching I would give, and the teaching I would receive. I didn't specifically think of the moments of doubt and uncertainty in raising another person to go out into the world armed with knowledge, confidence, and faith. Specifically, motherhood was completely what I expected... until Lainey hit about 2. Then all my expectations went out the window and I started treading water.



Because specifically, motherhood is hard. And when Lainey turned 2, all the specifics I'd read and studied about no longer applied. So here I am, treading water. Sometimes dipping too low into the water, getting too wet, splashing too much. Sometimes, I get tired. But I'm still here. There are a few reasons why I've been able to stay afloat, though. A major reason is your daddy. He's right there with me motivating me, buoying me up, doing what is needed. But you two, Lainey and Brady, are the biggest reason why I find the energy to keep treading. Your smiles, your unprompted 'thank you's, your kisses, your excitement.



Specifically, I didn't think of all those things. I knew children loved their mothers, and mothers loved their children, but I didn't know how good that feels. Specifically, I couldn't know the warmth I would feel in my heart, cuddling in a twin bed with my four year old daughter for a bedtime story. Specifically, I couldn't know the feeling of maternal pride while watching a 2 year old throw a football. I wouldn't know the sound of the laughter that I could make come from my children by dancing like a fool in the family room. Specifically, in anticpating motherhood, I couldn't have known how having kids, not babies, could be so magical and imaginitive... for me. I couldn't have expected the happiness I'd feel watching my children learn and explore. Specifically, those are the moments that -for me- make motherhood generally unexpected.

7 comments:

Annie and Berkeley said...

Thanks for that post Carrie. I think I needed to read that today. I am five months pregnant now, scared to death and totally not knowing what to expect but hearing you say such wonderful things about motherhood gives me courage and makes me excited all over again.

Anonymous said...

Wow! :-) All that while making a box of mac n cheese! Funny how we have those "ah-ha" moments at the strangest times.

Mine typically come when it's quite and we're outside having fun as a family doing absolutely nothing.

I don't think motherhood was what I expected either. I thought it would be much easier. But I absolutely LOVE it.

Gabrielle

Shannon B said...

AWWWWWWWWW. Agreed.

jeanine said...

Beautifully put Carrie... and so true!

Michal Thompson said...

Stop making me cry! Actually I love reading what you have to say. They are my feelings wrapped up into better words than I could ever portray. Thank you for showing us all that motherhood REALLY is all we want it to be.

Katie The Lady said...

That was great! My feelings exactly too. Generally, I'm quite pleased with my situation in life, but specifically, I struggle a lot with certain things. The older my boys get, the more I realise how much I didn't like the baby phase, and how happy I am to be a mom now.

Yeah, I'm so not looking forward to Calvin leaving me everyday to go to Kindergarten next year!

You are such a great writer, and very creative! Thanks for all your wonderful posts!!

Becca said...

oh, Carrie. I love reading your posts. this one really made me cry. YOu have a way of writing and making me trully reflect and love life. Thanks so much. It is great to be a mother even though it is hard. Time sure does fly. I keep thinking about that everytime I look at Lily and then at the other two kids.