Sunday, April 6, 2008

If I wasn't writing this down...

Dear Lainey,


My darling girl, we've spent another conference weekend together, one I hope never to forget. If I wasn't writing this down I certainly wouldn't remember how I missed most of Saturday morning's session because you and your brother were distracting in good AND bad ways. If I wasn't writing this down I might not remember how you fell asleep yesterday afternoon, along with Mommy and Daddy (don't worry, we promise to read it all later...). If I wasn't writing this down, I probably wouldn't remember the psychedelic coloring job you did on Joseph F. Smith. He never looked so good, little one. If I wasn't writing this down I may not remember your impromptu ballet dance during the choir's beautiful music. I probably wouldn't remember that you fell and skinned your knees and had a mammoth sized tantrum after conference today, if I wasn't writing this down. And I'd probably forget all about the crazy hair-do we concocted together today and how your hair was inches shorter and feet wider from the curls, if I didn't write it down.


But most importantly, I wouldn't remember two special moments if I didn't write them down. And these are moments I don't want you to forget, either. You see, I will always remember the example you set for me today, my only-4-but-very-smart-little-daughter. As we listened this afternoon to Elder Ballard talk about being a mother, you taught me an important lesson, too. I listened intently, soaking up any advice an apostle can give me in this most important role of my life. As he said that those 'shining moments' as a mother come only sporadically, I thought of that Saturday morning before that was so trying and many, many other trying moments. I didn't know one of those good moments was just about to happen.


Elder Ballard also gave fantastic practical advice to me and to Daddy. And then, as you and Daddy cuddled on the couch, Elder Ballard said he wanted to speak to the children. And Daddy, being the good daddy that he is, made sure you knew to listen. And you did. What did he tell you, Lainey? Will you remember forever his council to you? Maybe not, but when he told you to 'put your arms around your mother' you climbed right off that snugly couch with Daddy and did just what that Apostle of the Lord asked you to do. That might have been the best hug I ever received. Thank you, sweet girl! And then, even more special, after our dinner I asked you to help me unload the dishwasher. Do you know what you said to me? "Sure, I'll help. Because that's what the Prophet said." You remembered that Elder Ballard asked you to help with the dishes. He isn't the prophet, but you got the gist, didn't you?


Lainey, if I wasn't writing this down, I might forget that you, at 4 years old, followed the council of Elder Ballard without hesitation. You really listened to what a man called of God said to you, didn't you? Thank you, my darling daughter, for helping me see the simpleness of the way. Thank you for showing me how easy it can be to follow the Prophet. Thank you for helping me feel hope in this oft times hopeless and never ending challenge that is motherhood. If I wasn't writing this down, I might forget these lessons you've taught me.

But now I'll remember. I wrote it down.

8 comments:

Meggan said...

That was so sweet! You have a great way of expressing things. Glad ya'll had a good experience with conference. I always love the weekend we just get to sit and be taught.(in our jammies, if we choose!) Have a great week!

jeanine said...

Oh Carrie, this brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet little girl you have! She obviously has some outstanding parents!

Megan said...

Sniff, sniff. Thanks for that Carrie.

EmilyS said...

Didn't you love his talk on motherhood? I TOTALLY needed to hear that. How can you not know these men are inspired after hearing such great words at conference! Sweet little Lainey! Love that girl!

lori said...

This is beatuiful! Sweet little Lainey!! What a treasure this account will be, for you and for her, someday!!

shannon j said...

Very very sweet.

Megan said...

THIS is my new favorite post.

The Kelly Family said...

Carrie,
This is Jen Kelly. I don't know if you remember me from Fugal hall )It was Thomsen then)and from that crazy marriage enhancement class we took together, but I stumbled across your blog and just wanted to say hi and tell you what a cute family you have. We have a blog, too: rjkellyfam.blogspot.com. Anyways, that was a cute letter you wrote to Lainey. You're such a good mom :)