Monday, January 14, 2008

Open letter to elbow grease...

Dear grease in my elbow,

I've been thinking about you a lot lately, what with the crayon and pencil art on my walls, fridge, and doors from the artists formerly known as Lainey and Brady, now known as trouble makers #1 and #2. And I gotta tell you, we've had a long and glorious relationship. From the days of scrubbing walls in the pre-Grandma visits of my youth to the lovely apartment clean checks that required a few intense hours of your assitance, we've spent some serious time together. I've seen you clean out gunk that I hadn't hope of removing, and I've beamed with pride as I've admired the shine you've found in old, worn appliances. Yes, grease in my elbow, we've come a long way. We've gone from chores, to apartment checks, and then on to clean our first house. And even on to the second house, you've stuck by my side.

And I appreciate it. Really, I do. But I think its time to say sayonara. I'm kinda over you. This relationship just can't stand the test of time and modern cleaning technology. I found someone who will stick (or unstick, as the case may be) by me without so much effort from my elbow. I know what you're thinking. Forget the history, think about the cost of this new relationship. And while I agree that my good friends Scrubbing Bubbles TM and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser TM come at a premium, I'm sorry to say that your grease just doesn't hold a candle to their superior cleaning power. You just can't compete any more and I need my elbow for more important things, like picking up my kids or aiming a teasing jab at my husband.

I hope you know that this isn't goodbye. Since 'the incident', I've just decided we just need to take a break for a while. I'm sure I'll need you again soon and I hope you'll be there for me, but using you as frequently as I have in the past just isn't getting me the results I need. You saw the pantry door. The pencil was still there, glaringly visible for all to see. You've been a pal, really, but I gotta move on. I'm sorry it has to be like this, but I know we'll both be okay with some time apart.

Sincerely,

The person attached to the elbow you reside in.

7 comments:

jeanine said...

Carrie... you are a crack up! I love it... and magic erasers are the best!

lori said...

he he =)
I'm with you both in the adoration of magic erasers!!

Katie L said...

You are such a crack-up!!! I loved your letter to Mr. Elbow Grease! I LOVE the magic erasers!!! I use them for EVERYTHING!!! If there is one thing that could end war and create world peace, it's the magic erasers-hahaha! well, at least in families!

Shannon B said...

You funny gal!!!!!! i like them too except i found something it didn't work too well on...pencil! Maybe it it was just the paint that would not let it come off...I think the people who lived here before used the lowest grade paint! :0( You are so creative!

Megan said...

I loved this post. :) Thanks for the laugh.

Michal Thompson said...

I am a big fan of the magic eraser too! It is amazing. Yesterday we went looking for a bed. Dylan bounced all over all the mattresses. He was in heaven. I can't tell you how many people said "I bet he'll sleep well tonight." If they even knew this was just a warm up for Dylan. It would never make a dent in his energy level. I can't seem to find much of anything that really wears that kid out.

Dnnr said...

Carrie-

You kill me. Wow. Laugh-out-loud funny. It always cracks me up how you sometimes believe to be the least humorous of the Banks children. Au contraire, mon ami.

Oui oui!