Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Shows of the Season

So today's holiday favorite list is holiday movies! Who doesn't love a classic cartoon that reminds you of childhood, or a cheesy Christmas movie that does nothing to restore your faith in Hollwood (anyone seen any of the movies on ABC Family lately?), or a classic tale told again in a new way? We love Christmas shows at our house. They certainly help us ring in Christmas time. So here are my top 3 favorite Christmas movies:


White Christmas

This has been a favorite at the Banks' house for decades and now we carry on the tradition at the Miller home as well. Some classic lines: "Isn't this cozy? Boy, girl, boy, girl?" Or "Mutual, I'm sure." Or "My friend, when what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten what's left to be gotten won't be worth whatever it is you've got left." And you gotta love good ol' Bing and the great music. (Tyler and I are going to see the Broadway production of White Christmas on Thursday. I'll let you know what we think!)





A Charlie Brown Christmas
You've got to love this movie. And for the record, I'm feeling a bit like Charlie Brown... only two cards received as of yet. (It's okay, I haven't sent mine out yet either!) Lainey loved this one. And until we came home with a real green tree on Friday, she insisted we were getting a pink one. Where do ya think she got that idea? Humpf. Commercialism. "Your a good man, Charlie Brown!"







The Muppet Christmas Carol

Watch out, Miss Piggy. There's a new gal in town. And I'm in love with your man. Kermit is the cutest! And who doesn't love this tale? But more than I love this story, I love the music in this movie. Check it out. It's great.


No preamble here. What's your favorite holiday movie? What movie makes you take a break from this crazy time of year and curl up with your kids or hubby and celebrate the commercialized spirit of this glorious holiday season?

10 comments:

Megan said...

Carrie - I've been enjoying the holiday specials on TV with my kids. Shrek is on again tonight. It's fun to watch with them all these Christmas themed cartoons.

I also love Polar Express. What a great movie.

Carrie said...

I missed Shrek...AGGHH! I wanted to watch it tonight. First time it was on I was at mutual. Dang, I should've checked this earlier.

And I love Polar Express too. I need to watch it a few more years consecutively to allow it into 'holiday classic' status.

Anonymous said...

Carrie -
My absolute favorite movie of all time is It's A Wonderful Life!

I love this movie so much that when asked, "What's your favorite movie . . . this is it, even when it's not Christmas time."

Why do I LOVE it so much? It's because everything that happens in this movie has a point. Everything ties together in the end. Written perfectly.

The other CRAZY tradition I love about this movie is someone bought it for me years ago and it's still sitting wrapped in plastic wrap on my shelf. Jayson knows we can only watch this show when it airs on TV during the Christmas season. There is just something about watching it on TV versus on Video.

Didn't I subject you to watching this with me once?? If not, watch it this year and think of me!

Hey, thought of you when we were putting up our tree this year. Do you remember stringing popcorn for your tree two years ago?? You are the only other family (besides us) I know of that still does that!

Gabrielle

shannon j said...

I love them all! Last year I went and saw "The Holiday" and is was sooo cute! I cannot really pick a favorite, but I do love White Christmas. One of my favorite parts is when they sing "sisters, sisters." I remember dancing with you to that song and singing "cousins, cousins." I used to love watching Miracle on 34th Street.

Katie L said...

I must say, the first 2 are also my favorites!!! Good picks!

Dnnr said...

I ditto the motion on "It's a Wonderful Life". I would, however, recommend you rent it and not watch the TV version.

The TV version begins at the depressing part of the movie. The full version tells the story of him growing up and how he meets his wife and how he's always wanting to leave Bedford Falls but must continue helping the family business and its patrons.

It adds a lot more depth to the experience, believe me.

Dnnr said...

Sorry, this post is unrelated to your topic, but you should read what I replied with in your "I'm sorry . . . " post.

jeanine said...

I too love Muppet Christmas Carol... and you can't have Christmas without It's a Wonderful Life!

Anonymous said...

Danner -

I'm so happy to hear a ditto for It's a Wonderful Life! And alas, anyone watching the show must see it from the beginning (I agree, you miss the beginning you miss the whole point of the show.) However, everytime I've seen it on NBC they've shown it from the beginning to the end. My husband can attest to that cause it runs a full 3 hrs versus the tape version of 132 minutes! However, anyway we watch it . . . . ya just got to love it!
Gabrielle

Karen said...

Mr. Krueger's Christmas, White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, and my parents recorded a whole bunch of cartoons when I was little that were great. Claymation and Garfiled. I wish they were still around.