Thursday, January 15, 2009

You know you've still got a ways to go as a mother when...

It's 10 am and you have yet to change your sons diaper from last night.

You tell your kids that the train is broken (translation: batteries are dead) and they'll have to wait for Daddy to come home and fix it even though you are perfectly capable of changing the batteries. Who can stand listening to that thing all day anyway?

Your voice exceeds an appropriate decibel level more often than you care to admit.

You hear a fight breakout in the family room and opt to ignore it so you can continue thinking of ways you aren't the best mother that you can share with the blogoshere.



We can't be great mothers all the time, right? After my last post, in which I attempted to help us recognize what we do for our kids, I thought maybe I needed to keep it real.

Anything you want to confess?

13 comments:

jeanine said...

Carrie I love you!
I do several of the same things... tell my kids something is broken when all it needs is new batteries.
I raise my voice WAY too often... I'm working on that one.
And ignoring the kids for a while? Yeah, I've done that one too. Sometimes I'm in the computer room and the boys shut the door. There is a childproof handle on it and so I'll just let them play out there while I"m locked in the room... bliss.

Katie staten said...

You know you've still got a ways to go as a mother when the first words out of your mouth in your nightly prayers is "Thank you that it is finally bedtime." But you know I still love it every morning. My voice needs to come down many times during the day. THere are times though when you jump from mess to mess the volume gets turned up. I mean really, she is just one 2 year old. How is it possible that she can make so many messes while I'm trying to get just one thing done. Then while I clean up that mess, she's off destroying something else.
I'm just thankful that these sweet, innocent children are so forgiving to my shortcomings. I am so lucky to be a mom. I thankful that I can learn to be better every day.

Anonymous said...

Humm...how about when I'm thinking. What did I get myself into? Maybe 3 kids is enough!:-) We'll see --- one day I may be crazy enough to do it again.
Gabrielle

Michal Thompson said...

When Candy is "all gone" but it's not. When you give into the whine so you don't have to hear it again. Have cereal for all meals of the day!

Katie The Lady said...

Oh yeah!- I laugh at my kids when they get hurt, I'm heartless. I yell so much that my kids get really scared and confused when I speak in my normal voice-hahaha! My kids go to bed at 7:00 because I wouldn't be able to handle spending my evenings with them- all morning and afternoon is quite enough time for me-haha! Ah, the joys of slacking as a parent!

Megan said...

I'm so bad about giving Carson solids. Bottles are SO easy. I might have been more willing if I was breast feeding, but I'd rather do a bottle than make a mess sometimes!

Sometimes I tell them they can only have a snack if they eat it outside. You see, it kills 2 birds - I get some quiet, and they get some food!

I get high blood pressure when I grocery shop w/ 3 kids. So if I MUST, then I go to the store where I can check them into the Kids Club and shop in peace.

David & Kellie said...

How about when you pretend to still be asleep when your 18 month old is screaming in the other room and your husband finally gets up to take care of him...yes!

Shannon B said...

When I let them watch TV a "little" longer because I am not done doing my stuff yet

When I tell them that bed time is NOW, even though it REALLY isn't for another hour.

When I stay in bed in the morning and let them fend for themselves (well, it's usually a half hour...so not too long) :0)

Forgetting to give them baths for...a while

shannon j said...

Well considering my poor future children are not even wanted at this point, I could say I've got a long ways to go on the mothering part of my life...

Jacob said...

Fathers have their quirks, too. Sometimes I stay at school a few minutes longer to play fooseball with friends. Or I take little breaks during studying to play a game online. People should stop making toys that take batteries. They're a threat to human sanity.

Ryan and Andrea said...

That is hilarious! I've waited almost 12 hours before changing Austin before. Sometimes you just don't care.

Emily Widdison said...

You seriously crack me up. I had no idea how funny you are.
Great job on losing the weight! That is awesome, and I'm sure hard work! You look GREAT!

Nycole said...

Hey Carrie,

We are looking into buying an elliptical machine. I was just wondering which one you had and if you would recommend it?