We had a beautiful day here in the 'Burg yesterday. The kids got to play outside. I was thrilled! I've waited for this day all winter long. And it was a long winter. I even wrote a post about it, but waited to publish it until I had the perfect picture. Today started off much the same. Sun shining, birds twittering, no chilly bite in the air today! Surely I'd get a perfect 'Spring has arrived' picture today. But first, off the kids went to play. Those glorious moments of a quiet home while the kids play are treasures for a mother to be sure.
But then things started to get troublesome. The mud puddle was a hot spot for playing yesterday as evidenced by the cake like brown stuff all over shoes and pant knees, so my first foray outside was to ask them to find something else to play outside. Suprisingly, they complied although nothing can be more exciting to a budding imagination than fresh mud, can it?
Bugs. Bugs can be more exciting to a budding imagination. Although I personally don't see the interest, I understand the necessity for my children to have a healthy amount of curiousity about all things creepy crawly and left them to their play. Only when they decided to throw rocks at the bugs that were on the house did I venture outside for a second time.
I went back inside, intent on getting some packing done while I watched Barefoot Contessa whip up a delicious treat. A few minutes later I realized Lainey and Brady must've found something else exciting to do outside because all was quiet from the back door. After a few of those treasured, quiet moments, Lainey bursts in.
They had found a pet.
They made him a salad but he wasn't hungry.
It was like a spider, but it was maybe a mouse.
His eyes were open, Mom!
They named him something, but I don't remember what because at that precise moment Brady walked in waving his little fist excitedly, fingers clutched around something small and gray...their new pet.
A dead mouse.
A girly screech eeked out of my throat and I started yelling at Brady to get it out of the house. We washed hands and discussed that we don't touch outside animals ever. Especially dead ones. And we certainly don't proudly wave them in Mom's face.
Knowing I'd share the story with you, I took a picture of the thing sitting on my back porch where Brady tossed it because I haven't gathered the courage to go give it a proper burial in a garbage sack. But then I thought that a picture of my dead mouse isn't really the perfect spring picture, is it? So all you get is the story.
You can thank me later.
Happy spring, friends.
In other news, Lainey has her first bonafide loose tooth. Big things happening around here, yessiree.
3 months ago




13 comments:
Hi. I found you on MMB and was thoroughly creeped out by the mouse. I can't even imagine what I would have done if one of my boys had brought that into my house. I probably would have made everyone shower and then thrown away the soap. Ick. You've gotta love boys though!
I can soo hear your scream!
Gabrielle
I've let out a scream like that. And only because I have I can both laugh and dry heave (at the same time) while reading your post.
HAHA...that is HILARIOUS (sort of). I can just picture it now. My kids would soo do that. Aren't you glad the mouse was dead instead of alive though? :0)
Hilarious, as always! I can't believe your kids made a dead mouse the family pet! YIKES! Oh, how I wish I had a fenced backyard that I could send my kids out to play in, and not have to be right there with them the whole time because of a busy parking lot. I can't wait for that most of all! Happy Spring! We too have been enjoying new Spring weather!
Oh Carrie that is so gross! Perhaps worse than my stepping on a mouse. I don't know... it's close!
Wow! Boys will be boys, I guess, but that is gross. Hope the mouse gets the proper burial after mom calms down a bit!
wow, I don't know what I would do! So you haven't told us why your moving or where??? You sound like us- moving all the time
Nasty, gross, ewwww.....a dead mouse. Cute story, but yuck none the less. Thanks for sparing us a picture! LOL.
Lol come on Carrie, that's nothing like the drowned opossum in the garbage can on 87th street right? ;)
I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I am ahead for now but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere and I would so, so, appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥
OKay so e-mail me so I can add you to my blog! I want to talk and be in contact. Camey White-- from Lake Stevens! camgirl_8@msn.com
I'm so excited for spring too! However, it really hasn't felt like spring in Seattle yet, since today and all the other days have been rainy or with a cold wind. Spring, please get here soon!
Post a Comment