Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I think I hate politics.

Of all the days for me to realized this, I just had to pick this one, didn't I? After a historic night and a historic election, I'm finally figuring out that I just don't like politics. I'm usually a pretty opinionated and passionate person, but I just can't get very opinionated or passionate about it. I really think I hate politics. How did I come to this huge realization, you wonder?

Well, when Tyler woke me up telling me which way the battleground states finally swung, I rolled my eyes and then rolled myself towards the opposite wall, declaring Tyler's factoid the LAST political statistic I wanted to hear for 4 years. I think that means I don't really like politics.


When I turned on the TV for my workout this morning, I did a few jumps for joy. Why? Because I realized there would be NO political ads while I chugged through my workout on the elliptical today. There would be no 30 second snippets that tell nothing the way it really is on either side of the coin, no fact stretching, 1/2 truths and veiled barbs to choke down . I can't tell you the happiness that burst forth as I started my warm-up. Then, all my joy deflated as I watched Good Morning America's continued election coverage. Boring tv= long workout. The plummeting of my spirits made this morning's workout extra long. I think I hate politics.

When the news media reported that in the Washington State govenor's race, the candidates spent over $20 million dollars, I wanted to scream. Then I read that Obama, McCain, and other political interest groups have spent a record $5.3 billion dollars. I cringed. I wonder how many children in America went hungry in the last week while campaign's were forking over millions of dollars in ad time. I wonder what kind of change America would see if we put our money where our candidates' mouths are (in ideas and programs we support), instead of putting it in their pockets. I think getting this angry about it means I hate politics.

I don't think I'm being a sore loser or a sore winner. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I think my issues with politics are largely unrelated to political parties and leanings. I think I just plain hate politics. I think I hate it because I love this country. I love freedom. I love our history. I just hate what our process does to us.

What about you? What do you hate about the process? And are you glad the election is over? Why? Or why not?

I will say, before I even worked out, I checked the results of Prop 8 in California. That is one political issue I feel passionately about. Thank goodness it passed... let's just hope it stays that way!

And just so we're clear- hating politics and participating in them are not the same thing. I participate and am proud to do so. I just hate the process.

13 comments:

Laurie said...

Lol, very diplomatic fine print there at the bottom. Personally, I've found through my first ever presidential election, I enjoy the process. I do hate the negativity that has been floating around, sometimes in the background, sometimes blatantly on our television screens. I am glad it's over, but I think it's exciting.

More than negative campaigning, I hate what it does to us, as citizens. I voted for Obama, and the other people that voted for him in Utah are few and far between. That's fine with me, I understand why a lot of people voted for McCain. Stellar, woo hoo, democratic process at work, I love it! Vote what you will, just don't get in my face about who I voted for because I promise I won't get in yours.

Also, don't assume that everyone who voted for Obama just did it because he is black, and I won't assume that you only voted for McCain because he's been a senator for a long time, because he's republican, because he's a P.O.W or because your parents did.

And finally, every argument against one candidate, can be hurled back in the other candidate's face, so arguing about it in a heated way is illogical and a waste of time, really. In a tension-free, "I'm-just-curious-as-to-why-you're-voting-for-him" kind of way, I love those conversations. Chances are, both parties in the conversation learn something new.

Whew, ok. Done. lol, end rant.

shannon j said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shannon j said...

Whoa Laurie… I take it your peers at BYU did not like your choice…hang in there.

And Carrie... I totally agree with what you are staying. When I heard the Republican Party spent $150,000 on Palin’s wardrobe, I just cringed. And the overall cost of elections is just horrifying.

I really wish we could change the process too…

And I’m the one that deleted the comment. I noticed a spelling error.

Katie staten said...

I think I dislike politics as well. It seems like what we search for is the lesser of the 2 evils. You hear the smooth talking promise after promise politicians and know that once that they get put in office that very little of what they promised will be done.
I love that we have the ability to vote and have a say, and I love my country, I will defend it in any way I can. I am coming to the conclusion that "we, the people" need to make ourselves heard, instead of the extreamest who fight for what the minority wants.
That being said, I'm glad that the ads are gone, and that Obama, McCain, Palin, Rudy (I don't want to see how to spell his last name), and Romney are going to stop calling me numerous times a day.
I do wish that Romney would come pull Michigan out of our economic state.
I guess I had a lot more to say than I thought. Sorry for any typos, I have a 2 year old crawling over me.

jeanine said...

I usually don't mind politics but this election lasted WAY too long. Plus I wasn't too excited about either of the candidates. (But remember our red, white and blue dinner in 2000? THAT was fun! I was going to do that with my family but we were all sick and lucky to have some soup and soda crackers)
Oh and YEA on Prop 8 passing. My parents and so many others worked so hard getting the word out on that. And it will be pretty hard to overturn now. In 2000 it was voted as a law. NOW it's part of the state constitution.
But yeah... so glad this is over.

Steven said...

AMEN sister!! They preach for 3.25 years about crossing party lines and then when the campains hit its all bad guy, bad guy. Love out country but I too hate politics. And my other pet peave this year has been people talking to me like they think they know who I am voting for. I don't want my friends (neighbors and ward members to talk to me about specific candidates and act like they know who I am voting for. I always that it was a personal decision.

Ashley said...

It's refreshing to read something that reflects what I'm feeling! I've been reading most blog posts about how wonderful the election results are. I have never been able to get passionate about politics either, at ALL, and I really just hate it all too! I'm SO glad it's over!

Anonymous said...

i agree that we need to be spending money for good. it seems like there is a lot of money that is wasted. but i guess all we can do is pray and hope for the best and do what we personally can do to help those in need.
on the workout stuff you could put in a movie or something else that you enjoy. that can help it not seem so boring and breeze through the workout. congrats on your weightloss. i am so jealous. i can't wait to see a photo of the new improved you. your awesome

Megan said...

I enjoyed it this time around. Probably because we were heavily involved with the Yes for Marriage campaign here in Arizona. I was very emotianal and passionate about that and it passed!!

This time, I really studied the parties, candidates, platforms, etc. as I was unsure of who to vote for. It was more difficult than past elections.

At least they aren't spending "our money" friviously - they are spending money they have raised for their own campaigns.

lori said...

"put our money where our candidates' mouths are"
Smile.

I love you, Carrie! I'm finally blogging TWO HANDED tonight and can whip out a comment. I've been meaning to throw words at you for weeks now.

I want to say: I love you. I'm so inspired by you in so many ways...your mothering (what cute kids! Lucy loved the M&M costume!), your spirituality, your wit, your weight-loss (!!)

So glad I can keep up with you on this lovely blog.
Keep up the good work, sis!

Usually Kristen sometimes Kevin said...

Another Amen!! I don't know what it is that I really don't like, because I like the government (in theory) and I am glad there is competition for offices and we have a say, but I hate the campaigning. -well, but even that has pros and cons. I just don't think politics should be so greasy, dirty, mud-slinggy etc. I do value the process and I am grateful to participate, but I get so tired of the back biting advertisements and general trash. I think what I hate the very most is the tv ad that goes like this, "So and so is a lying sleezy man and no one should vote for him. He has bad political ideas. I'm So and So B and I support this message because I want some one in office who cares about the people of this geographical area." AHHH! No, you don't care that much or you wouldn't have just trashed on someone who is a person of this geographical area. Rather than tell us how bad he is, why not give us one good reason to believe that you care about us and prove that you aren't just trying to win a popularity contest. And if his political ideas are so bad, why not tell us an alternative that is good. To me, it just sounds like you have no political ideas, just criticism of other people. Grr...Tricky tricky, but how do we fix it? I better stop before my blood pressure gets any higher and my rambling becomes even less logical.

Katie The Lady said...

True dat!

I'm so glad it is all over! It seems like this battle has been drawn out for so long! I'm so glad to finally have a new President, and not just seeing everyone attacking eachother.

I'm happy Prop 8 passed, but I know the battle will continue! I might be more liberal then other LDS folk. I do think that couples, both gay and staight, should have the same rights, even though I disagree with that lifestyle. If you have a long term partner it should mean something. BUT I don't think it should be called a marriage. That word should ONLY and forever be applied to only a man and a woman!! It is so hard to live in a society that forces people to accept everything and everyone. If you stand true to what you believe, people call you prejudes and try to ruin your way of thinking. I can love the person and still hate the act. I hate when political issues have to intertwine with moral and religious issues! People seem to love attacking the opposite sides and try to make others feel bad for their votes and choices!

I honestly thought the few houses in Rexburg with Obama signs would be egged, or even worse! I thought it was brave and great that those homes voiced their desires too. Elections just bring out the worst of people. People love democracy until it doesn't work out their way, then they do everything they can to fight the democratic system! I wonder if this makes any sense to anyone but me...oh well.

Anonymous said...

hey tyler tell becca to add me to her list so that i can read her blog. here's my email address. coco26@comcast.net
thanks. tell kathy hi for me.
colleen